GF
Posted By
george_fillmore
Aug 22, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
need some help with obtaining gsm from plaque in carotid arteries from pictures captured from ultrasound scans

From what I understand, you use the ‘curves’ facility of the software (PS Elements) to set the grey scale of the darker part of the image (blood) in the region of 0-5 and the adventitia (inner wall of the artery-lighter than the blood) in the region of 185-195. You then outline and select the plaque and use the histogram to determine the gsm.

I hope this is appropriate for this forum and any help I can get would be appreciated.

thanks

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

GF
george_fillmore
Aug 22, 2004
just joined the forum and am interested in black-and-white digital

am looking at plug-ins (like power retouche) to improve b/w pictures and am interested in comments on printing (such as anyone using peizography or something similar)

thank you
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Aug 23, 2004
Elements doesn’t have curves, but I think maybe you can do what you want with Levels. You would open your photo, make sure it’s in Grayscale mode (image>mode), then go to Enhance>Levels and set your numbers there. Then select the plaque, go to window>histogram and you will see the Mean, Standard Deviation, and Median for the selection.

I honestly do not know if this is accurate enough for medical use, or close enough to the information you would get with curves in full photoshop.

We have at least one doctor who’s a regular here–Carl, do you know?
GF
george_fillmore
Aug 23, 2004
Barbara

you’re getting me closer

do you know how you set the levels?

you use the eyedropper to select and then?

thanks for your help
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Aug 23, 2004
No, since you know the numbers just type them in.
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Aug 23, 2004
Or if you want to set them for your particular image, use the black and white eyedroppers.
GF
george_fillmore
Aug 23, 2004
Barbara

Is there a link or some text you can direct me to on this subject?

I’ve tried the help feature on elements and I’m getting nowhere.

I’ve gone from creating a layer to selecting pixels to setting input or output levels to I would hate to see how bad I would be doing if I was trying to use PS.

thanks
GF
george_fillmore
Aug 23, 2004
Barbara

I tried to type the parameters in but the dialog box won’t save them.

Are you supposed to create a layer first?

thanks
george
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Aug 23, 2004
George, in your case a separate layer is optional, but I would definitely work on a copy of your original file so that you can start over if you mess up.

What do you mean by "the dialog box won’t save them"? Can you explain in more detail what’s happening?

Also, where did you get your information from? I ducked into photoshop and looked at the options in curves and I have a strong suspicion you need to go back to your source for some clarification about the methodology.
GF
george_fillmore
Aug 23, 2004
I type in the values and when I try out the histogram for various trial selections I find it’s gone outside the values I typed in. Then I recheck the levels in the dialog box and they’re back to the original numbers.

1) I believe I might need to use photoshop and the curves option.

2) Yes, I do need some clarification and I believe I might be able to obtain that.

3) I need to spend the day just working on the program itself (Elements and/or Photoshop).

Thanks much for your help. I really do appreciate it. I might ask more questions when I learn a little more of what to ask.

george
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Aug 24, 2004
George, with levels or curves, what you are doing is redistributing the values when you use the eyedroppers/sliders or type in numbers. You have a bar graph with 256 possible values, from 0 (black) to 255(white) and what you do when you change anything is to tell PE/PS "take this current value and move it." So if you click on an area that has a value of, say, 15, with the black eyedropper, that will be 0 the next time you look at the levels diagram because you just told it to be.

I still think your best bet would be to go back to your source for more detailed directions.
GF
george_fillmore
Aug 26, 2004
Barbara

sorry for not responding earlier–work out of town some of the week and do not have much access to the internet (except for email and stocks by phone)

I would think I should be able to get more instructions from source and will attempt that

thanks again for your patience and help

george

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections