V
Posted By
v6v6v6
Mar 3, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Is there an opposite feature that would allow you to zoom in really quick, like a magnifying loop or something? I just want to confirm that it’s not already built in. Also want to gauge it’s usefulness as a feature before making a feature request.

(BTW, the Bird’s Eye View feataure is great!)

Thanks!

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

P
pfigen
Mar 3, 2009
There’s a magnifying loop built into Bridge, but it’s so slow you might as well just open the file.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Mar 3, 2009
I don’t find the Loupe in the least slow (in Bridge CS4 and with my video card it opens instantly) but it does only cover a small area.

The easiest and most effective way to see a magnified view from Bridge is to just Cmd R (to open in ACR) and zoom in as much as you like.

In Photoshop itself, with Cmd Spacebar held down, just pull a marquee round a small area to instantly fill the screen with that selection.
SG
steve_guilhamet
Mar 3, 2009
As I understand the request, you want to be able to be zoomed at something less than 100%, say ‘Fit to Screen’, and then using ‘H’ press with mouse, sample around the image at some zoom level. What would the zoom level be? Actual Pixel, 800%, 3200%, user defined? Ps supports Bird’sEye view with spring loaded single key so we couldn’t use H + modifier.

Bird’s Eye view also doesn’t need a way to set zoom level since it uses that as a starting point and always zooms out to "Fit Window". Does using the current feature not get what you want, just in a reversed order? Or does it just feel less elegant?

Using Bring or CR, are options but tangential to the OP.
V
v6v6v6
Mar 3, 2009
Using Bring or CR, are options but tangential to the OP.

Steve, thanks for recognizing this–while I appreciate any comments, I’m definitely more interested in a PS-specific solution.

What would the zoom level be? Actual Pixel, 800%, 3200%, user defined?

I feel that’s dependent on the subject (sometimes I need to work at pixel level, other times more broad), but perhaps zooming via the scroll wheel would allow this flexibility (like Bridge).

Here’s an example use case: I need to check all four corners of a rectangular object. Currently I’ll zoom in to one corner, select the hand tool and pan over to the next corner, zoom out, zoom back into the next corner, and pan over to the final corner. The imagined experience might be to press and hold Z and click your mouse on a corner, zoom in to 300% (or some default ratio), and letting go of the mouse would zoom you back out to 100%. I would do this for all four corners without having to switch the tool or without having to pan excessively. Maybe the default zoom ratio would change based on your current zoom setting.

I don’t really have any more ideas beyond that, but I just thought it’d be useful to have the same type of experience for zoom that Bird’s Eye View currently provides.

—–

BTW, I went ahead and posted a request at <http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.59b81ad3>.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Mar 3, 2009
You already have a tool in BirdsEye which would help in your zoomed-in corner to corner inspections.

Zoom in tightly on the first corner;
Hold down H to see the full image in BirdsEye view;
Move the target rectangle to another corner and let go of the H key. Now you are zoomed -in on your second corner.
V
v6v6v6
Mar 4, 2009
You already have a tool in BirdsEye which would help in your zoomed-in corner to corner inspections.

Zoom in tightly on the first corner;
Hold down H to see the full image in BirdsEye view;
Move the target rectangle to another corner and let go of the H key. Now you are zoomed -in on your second corner.

Thanks Ann, I thought about this, too, but I feel it has to do with the perspective you’re working from. I’m working/thinking from a macro view and I’d like to zoom in for quick views.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Mar 4, 2009
I have already suggested to you how to do that;

Hold down Cmd and Space bar;

and drag your mouse/stylus diagonally to create a small rectangular marquee;

Let go of Cmd and Spacebar and the selected area will immediately fill your monitor.

I think that you need a lot more experience with this application because all of the "New Features" for which you have been asking already exist — it’s just that you haven’t discovered them yet!

🙂
V
v6v6v6
Mar 4, 2009
I have already suggested to you how to do that;

Hold down Cmd and Space bar;

and drag your mouse/stylus diagonally to create a small rectangular marquee;

Let go of Cmd and Spacebar and the selected area will immediately fill your monitor.

Thanks for going in depth on how to zoom, but I already explained my current process and it’s very similar.

I think that you need a lot more experience with this application because all of the "New Features" for which you have been asking already exist — it’s just that you haven’t discovered them yet!

I don’t feel this is about a "new feature" in CS4. With your previous example of just using the existing Bird’s Eye View feature, it’s like using a wrench to hammer in a nail. Sure you could do it, but it’s not the most efficient.

As for your assertion that "all" of the "new features" that I’ve been asking for exist, I feel you’re over exaggerating based on a couple of my threads which have piqued your interest. I have questions, report some bugs, provide suggestions for improvements on existing features, and yes, I’ve requested a couple new features but I don’t believe they already exist.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections