CS3: New document from Clipboard – colour is wrong!

D
Posted By
DemonTraitor
Jun 8, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am most probably doing something very stupid, but I did not have this problem in CS2…

When creating a new document using the Clipboard preset, the colours are wrong. I noticed this when copying and pasting a desktop screenshot.

The first time I did a paste the blue of the (XP) taskbar was purple, then I noticed that I had created an 8-bit document and my desktop is 32-bit. So I upped it to 32-bit and pasted again, this time the colour was blue, but washed out and pale.

Am I missing something?

Anyone else get this problem?

I am using an NVidia GeForce 7600 GT Graphics Card… full PC specs are available if needed.

Thanks

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

L
LenHewitt
Jun 8, 2007
I noticed that I had created an 8-bit document and my desktop is
32-bit.<<

Your document was 8-bits *per channel* ie 24-bit which is also what your screenshot was. That was correct, and you should have gone with it.

Your screenshot was also in Monitor RGB, so you probably needed to convert it from Monitor RGB into your working RGB colour space.
D
DemonTraitor
Jun 8, 2007
Ok, thanks for the info. But I did not need to do this with CS2.
P
philwig
Jun 19, 2007
I also have the same thing. It’s not connected to bit-depth as far as I can tell.

Something’s changed as it worked fine with CS2, I’m just not sure what the change is or how to fix it, yet. Converting into the working RGB (which you can set as an option so it does it automatically, or do it manually) of course changes the colour space, but doesn’t fix the problem.

I was thinking… I don’t know if the clipboard (this is Vista) is color aware. Maybe it is, maybe it isn’t. That screen bitmap is a set of rgb values * plus * the monitor colour profile, right? When you try to paste, there’s no profile mismatch or other warning, irrespective of what colour space you paste into. That’s odd: it suggests PS is missing something here, no?

Another tack… I create a PS document in the same colour space as my monitor profile and paste into that, the colours are different but still not right. Create a PS document in sRGB, paste into that, and they’re different again. So PS/CS3 is doing something with the colour spaces – it’s converting from something to the working space. But what is it converting *from* ? And more importantly, how do I set up PS/CS3 to make this work right…?

(Now it’s all stopped crashing I can worry about the details 😉
C
chrisjbirchall
Jun 19, 2007
But I did not need to do this with CS2

Have you set your Edit>Colour Settings exactly the same in CS3 as you did in CS2?
P
philwig
Jun 19, 2007
{thanks} yes I did, although once CS3 became stable I un-installed CS2 so I can’t compare… dang! But I also upgraded to Vista around the same time and I may not have noticed this before.

Hang on… I think I have something here. I have my default working space set to sRGB. Copy from un-managed browser (FF) into ctrl-n window (which is in sRGB) and the colours look "wrong". But if I set that drop down in the ctrl-n window to be Adobe RGB, and paste into that… it looks correct.

Duh, so something’s happening here. How does it "know" the colour profile of what’s in the clipboard (this is Vista business). I’m on the trail of this thing, but I think I need another espresso to actaully nail it…

Oh, I have "preserve embedded profiles" set, which is interesting too. What precisely does my clipboard image have embedded I wonder.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections