Posted By
Noah_Kameyer
Feb 28, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi,

After registering Photoshop CS4, I got an e-mail with some free offers from Adobe. I chose some fonts. The ReadMe file said to install them in Library/Fonts. I did that, but they do not show up in my list of Fonts in PS CS4. It’s not a big deal, because they were free, but would anyone happen to know how I can get them to show up?

I am using a 1st Gen black Macbook. CS4 works fine…just can’t get these fonts to show up. The folder for the fonts says SanvitoPro. I have tried placing the folder in Fonts, and now have removed all 16 or 17 fonts, and placing them in the Fonts folder. Neither choice makes the fonts show up.

Any suggestions?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

R
Ram
Mar 1, 2009
If you happen to have a zillion bazillion fonts, you may have hit the unacknowledged but well known and very real font limit in Photoshop. The "S" (Sanvito) is pretty far down the alphabet. Do you use a font manager?
NK
Noah_Kameyer
Mar 1, 2009
The only fonts I use are the ones that came with PS CS4. It’s odd to me that Abobe would offer the option of choosing more fonts for free after registering, if they know there is a font limit that will not allow me to actually use them.

To answer your question – I don’t use a font manager. What exactly is a font manager? Maybe this would allow me to use the fonts. Oh well, live and learn.

Due to the fonts being free, I’ll most likely just drag them to the Trash, take a few aspirins for my headache, and try to forget I ever chose more fonts as my choice of something for free after registering.

Thank you for the response. I was not aware of the font limit, and it is very good to know, should I upgrade years down the line to a new version…I will know to never choose more fonts as my freebie.
CC
Chris_Cox
Mar 1, 2009
Ramon – what limit? There used to be a limit to the menu size (long, long ago) but no limit to the number of fonts. We’ve tested Photoshop with every Adobe font loaded at once, plus all we could get from other major vendors, and a few thousand free fonts. It took a while to generate the previews, but it worked just fine.
R
Ram
Mar 1, 2009
Noah,

The font limit is way up there in the range of several hundred fonts. Don’t worry about it in your case, now that you’ve clarified your modest use of fonts.

You’re free to trash anything you want, including your Rolex watches; but be advised that those fonts you got as a bonus sell for considerably more than $100.

When you installed the fonts, did you restart your Mac, or at least re-launched Photoshop?

A font manager manages your fonts, allowing you to activate them and deactivate them without deleting them from your drive. The Apple provided Font Book is such a font manager, albeit not a very robust one.

FontAgent PRO (FAP) is my font manager of choice and it also happens to be excellent at ferreting out bad, duplicate and problem fonts. There’s a 30-day fully functional demo available at their site. FAP activates non-active fonts on the fly when needed. I have several thousand fonts, but only a handful activated.
R
Ram
Mar 1, 2009
Chris,

Ramon – what limit? There used to be a limit to the menu size (long, long ago) but no limit to the number of fonts.

That limit to the menu was what I was referring to. Never read any announcement to the effect that it had been fixed. Glad to hear it is. Thanks for that information.
NK
Noah_Kameyer
Mar 1, 2009
Ramon,

Thank you. I will not put them in the Trash. Thank you for all the information. I did restart my Mac.

Chris,

So how can I get the fonts to work? Is the only way to get a font manager?
R
Ram
Mar 1, 2009
Chris,

My most recent question about the font limit was never conclusively answered (or I missed such a response :/):

Ramón G Castañeda, "Photoshop CS4" #8, 23 Sep 2008 3:43 pm </webx?14/7>
R
Ram
Mar 1, 2009
Noah,

Your fonts should show in Photoshop without a problem.

Was the download perhaps compressed (zipped or stuffed)? If so, it needs to be decompressed first.
CC
Chris_Cox
Mar 1, 2009
Ramon – I thought the menu limit was fixed back in Photoshop 7 or CS.
R
Ram
Mar 1, 2009
Thanks for that too, Chris, but we had posters here complaining about it after CS was released. Of course, the posters may have been running versions prior to the fix.
R
Ram
Mar 1, 2009
Neil Keller was talking about it as recently as last September:

Neil Keller, "I installed a TrueType font that I’ve created and it doesn’t show up in Photoshop, but it does show " #4, 23 Sep 2008 5:55 am </webx?14/3>
R
Ram
Mar 1, 2009
Here’s another thread mentioning the font limit:

Buko, "Font Limit?" #10, 20 May 2008 1:49 pm </webx?14/9>
NK
Neil_Keller
Mar 1, 2009
Chris,

Every so often we do see a complaint from someone using Photoshop (version/versions not known offhand) who says that he or she doesn’t see any fonts alphabetically after the P listings or S listings. None of them use a font manager.

The next time someone wanders in with that problem, I’ll be sure to confirm which version of Photoshop is being used, as well as the system specs.

Neil
CC
Chris_Cox
Mar 1, 2009
Remember that fonts are sorted first by language/script. If the font has the wrong language/script tag, it’ll get sorted into a different list after the one for the primary system language. (scroll WAY down)

Other than that and really corrupt fonts (which we can’t recover) – all fonts should be showing.
R
Ram
Mar 1, 2009
Chris,

it’ll get sorted into a different list after the one for the primary system language

Right, I’m very aware of that. I always urge posters who report the problem to scroll up and down the list of fonts.

On my personal machine, I’ve never experienced the limit issue myself, simply because I’ve always managed my fonts, with Suitcase in the early days and with FAP now. But at least on two occasions I’ve sat at Macs owned and used by acquaintances who had an unconscionable amount of un-managed, always-active fonts and their font lists stopped at the letters P, T or W, certainly well before Zapfino. 🙂 The limit was very real, but I’m in no way inclined to check whether it’s still there. 😉 I’ll more than gladly take your word for it, Ill just point posters to this thread. 😀
B
Buko
Mar 1, 2009
Holy Crap Chris! Why are you up so late posting on the forum? have you no life like the rest of us Photoshop geeks.
R
Ram
Mar 1, 2009
:p
NT
Nini Tj
Mar 1, 2009
You might want to clean the font cache after installing additional fonts (can be done with Cocktail or FontFinagler and a lot of other apps as well). Usually helps in all Adobe apps when a font won’t show. And put them in the Macintosh HD/Library/Fonts folder if you didn’t already. Which fonts folder did you place them in?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections