Posted By
Jay_Sottolano
Feb 28, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
All,

I am trying to set up an new Action for Portrait work that allows me to come in and out of the Nik Color Efex menu for additional input. I can set the workflow the way I want to, but the oddity is as follows. If I pause the Action (waiting for input) the Nik Menu comes up, but the filtering does not take effect when I exit the filter. If I choose not to open the Nik Dialog box but just process it, the resulting image shows the update and the additional layer created. Why would enter the filter, hitting O.K. NOT take effect simply because it is in an action? Any help is appreciated.

I am running CS3 on a Mac Book Pro…. Leopard OS 10.5.6

Jay S.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

JS
Jay_Sottolano
Mar 4, 2009
BUMP Anyone have any experience here?

Jay S.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Mar 5, 2009
Sorry, I can’t help with that as I have neither Nik nor Leopard.
SG
steve_guilhamet
Mar 5, 2009
Hi Jay,

How are you pausing the action? Are you turning the ‘Toggle Dialog’ option On?

Can you post a screen shot of the Action panel so I can see the commands?

thx,
steve
JS
Jay_Sottolano
Mar 5, 2009
Steve,

Yes, I’m using the Toggle Dialog on/off option. For some reason, the following works on allowing me to get into the last Color Efex dialog box. I don’t know what adding the Layer Copy does, but it seems to make it work. There really isn’t much to the action. I really wated to stop at each Nik dialog, check the image, choose one setting from a group of saved possibilities, then move on. For now, I’m settling on the first two running as is, and tweaking with the third call to Color Efex. Screen shot at:

< http://jaysott.smugmug.com/gallery/4629330_CMAwG#485364941_m m6Xy-O-LB>

Thanks.
Jay
SG
steve_guilhamet
Apr 3, 2009
Hi Jay,

Sorry for the delay getting back to you. I believe I’ve figured out what’s happening. Nix CEP3 has an option to apply effects to the current layer or a separate layer. When running an action, there is a silent failure with applying the filter effect to a separate layer. We have seen a similar issue with another 3rd party plug-in.

You can change the option by looking in the lower left of the CEP dialog for the ‘Settings’ button. At the bottom of the ‘Filter Settings’ tab there is ‘Afer clicking OK:" which specifies current or separate layer. You want it set to current layer when running in an action. To get a new layer and also get the effect while running the action, add a Layer via Copy command just before calling the CEP dialog.

I’ll be contacting Nik to let them know about the problem.

Regards,
steve

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections