Posted By
diane_sapstead
Jun 5, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi

Could someone please put me in the right direction for adding pictures into the rounded retangular tool etc,for photoshop/image ready CS2 as I want to use this for website. I did learn this last year went away travelling for a few months and just cannot remeber what I did or where I found instructions.

Also, would these instructions work on illustator also. As I would like learn for both

Many thanks
Diane

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

M
MisterOwl
Jun 5, 2007
Q&D:

1. Create new document, Use rounded rectangle tool to draw shape/size you wish to use
2. Hit Ctrl-Enter to turn that into a selection
3. Open picture you wish to "put into" the rounded rectangle
4. Ctrl-A on your picture to select all (or, use an appropriate tool
to select as much of the image as you want to use)
5. Ctrl-C to copy image
6. Switch back to the document with the rounded rectangle selection in it
7. Edit -> Paste Into

Your rounded rectangle is now a "mask" for the image. In the Layers palette, you can select the mask to move it around & modify it, or you can select the image to move that around or modify it. Piece O cake.

The process is much easier in Illustrator. Open the image you wish to mask with Illustrator (if you can), then draw a rounded rectangle over it in the shape you wish to end up with, select both the rounded rectangle AND the image, and hit ctrl-7 to "Create Mask". The rounded rectangle has to be "on top" or "above" the image for it to work, layer-wise… though in this case "layer" is probably too strong a word. Hopefully you know what I mean.

On Mac, replace CTRL with CMD.

J
C
chrisjbirchall
Jun 6, 2007
See the advice here: Daryl Pritchard, "How do I round the edges on a jpeg image?" #1, 5 Jun 2007 4:40 pm </cgi-bin/webx?14/0>

Once you have cut the corners you will have to save the file in a format which supports transparency. Jpeg does not. For a web page the best option in GIFF.

Alternatively, sample the background colour of your web page an cut the corners to this instead of transparency.

Chris.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections