my droplet action keeps the original name of the first file used to create the action

BP
Posted By
barbara_press
Feb 25, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello,

I have never seen this before. I have made so many actions and created droplets from them, but this is a first.

I created a simple action that opens a pdf file at 72 DPI, makes the image size 1 inch wide and saves it as a jpeg to a predetermined folder, then I close the original without saving.

When I create the droplet, and drag a bunch of PDF files onto it, it keeps only the first PDF file I started to process and names it the original name of the one I used to create the initial action.

Any help is greatly appreciated…

thanks
barbara

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

SG
steve_guilhamet
Feb 27, 2009
Hi Barbara,

I think you saved the file name as part of the action. You can check by seeing if the Save section has an In: file path with the file name.

Try turning on the "Save As" Override and putting your directory path and file naming in the droplet.

regards,
steve
JM
J_Maloney
Feb 27, 2009
Steve:

I don’t think this works with PDFs. Tif, jpgs, psds work fine. But eps, ai and pdf seem to bring the "open with name" attribute to the open step (in CS3). You either get all files opened (and saved with overwrite) with that name, or all files opened and left unactioned. I would love for someone to confirm this, but doing a search in the forums find ~all image/action querries quickly solved and ~all pdf/action querries unsolved (except image processor, dr brown, etc – which get the poster no closer to a working droplet/action).

J
SG
steve_guilhamet
Feb 27, 2009
Hi J,

I’ll admit I’m not sure what Barbara is running into and my suggestion might be off the mark. I just found a way to get a droplet to output a jpg with the action originating name, and fixed it by enabling the "Save As" Override. I didn’t include an Open step in my action, however.

I’m curious about your observation with eps, ai and pdf files. Are the actions including an Open step? I’m not a power user of droplets, so I wonder why you would include any Open step in the Action part of a droplet? Is this to filter out other formats in folder/subfolder and only open files that are PDF compatible?

thx,
steve
B
barbarapress
Feb 27, 2009
HI Steve and J,

Th reason I needed the open…I thought, was to create the droplet…

In any case, I did come up with a solution.

the action now has an extra step..

I made a folder called temp PDF and a folder for the final jpegs. It seems as long as the pdf opens as a photoshop PDF is works…so here goes…

the actions looks like this:

Open-and I pic a random PDF file
save as a Photoshop PDF in my PDF temp folder
Close
Open-and I get the file in the PDF temp folder
Image size-make my size option that I want
Save as a JPEG and put in my final jpegs folder
Close-do not save
stop action

Now the droplet works fine.

Doing it this way allows all the PDF to become smaller jpegs in the final folder. The intermediate folder, has the problem of the one name file in the folder, but that doesn’t matter now.

🙂

hope this helps…
SG
steve_guilhamet
Feb 28, 2009
Hi Barbara,

If you are happy with your solution, sweet. It does seem like a performance hit having to save, close, and open the file though (however small the extra time). And you have the intermediate folder to delete, as well.

If you are dropping known files only (no mixed format folders/subfolders) that are single page PDFs and wanting to output down-sampled JPGs with the originating name via droplet, you don’t need to include the Open command in the action (and leave the Action "Open" override turned off). And if you check on the Action "Save As" Override in the droplet creation, I believe you should only get the dropped files opening, resizing, and saving as JPG with the originating name. (see steps below for what I did)

In the droplet you can either have it save to the same folder, via ‘Save and Close’, or to a specific folder via ‘Folder’.

I think the problems come in trying to introduce format filtering with Open actions, which is approached more robustly via scripting.

1. create new default Ps document
2. create action and start recording
3. Save As… select JPG format
4. Close
5. stop action recording
6. File> Automate> Create Droplet…
7. name droplet via Save Droplet In> Choose…
8. choose Play> Action and set the one created in steps 2-5
9. set Destination option
10. turn On Override Action "Save As" Commands 11. click OK

regards,
steve
JM
J_Maloney
Feb 28, 2009
Steve:

I create an action that works on a doc. No open as part of the action. The only result I get from the droplet (fed pdfs) is opened files, unprocessed by the action, or no open files and the action telling me it can’t do x to no file. If I include open as part of the action, I get all the same file names (from the open step of the action), or opened files (with actual files names), but unprocessed by the action.

I was only opening the PDFs in the action to control resolution, colorspace etc. (which appears to default to cropbox/workingrgb/300ppi)

The same droplet that chokes on pdf-ai-eps runs great for PSDs.

Thanks,
J
BP
babs_press
Mar 2, 2009
Hi Steve and J,
Thanks…I will pursue this further with your instructions. I wasn’t thrilled with my work a round..just happy I was able to get something to work.. thanks!
barbara
SG
steve_guilhamet
Mar 3, 2009
Hi J,

I have run into the problems I think your hitting. I was using RGB PDF output from Ps so my import wasn’t very heterogenous. I’m still trying trying to understand some of the issues and see if I can help you out with general PDF import via Actions. It may be that scripting is the route to go.

thx,
steve
SG
steve_guilhamet
Mar 3, 2009
Hi Barbara,

For what it appears you’re wanting there is another option that you might want to investigate.

If you want to get ‘thumbnail’ snapshots of you PDFs, there is a script you can use with Bridge CS4 that exports JPG files.

< http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/exchange/index.cfm?event=extens ionDetail&loc=en_us&extid=1698308#>

You can rely on Bridge’s ability to generate various sized views of a wide range of PDF files. Then with the script, export JPG files to same folder, another folder, email, or FTP.

Installing the script and getting it working is fairly straightforward (via Extension Manager)

thx,
steve
BP
barbara_press
Mar 10, 2009
hi steve,
thanks for this info……
we are still using cs3???
But it will be good to know when we move to cs4 😉
thanks!!!!

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections