SF
Posted By
Shaun_Ferguson
Feb 23, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Not being all that technically-minded I’m not sure if my graphics card will manage all the functions required by Photoshop CS4. I’ve looked on ATI’s site for the graphics card but can’t find it – ATI Radeon 9650.
System Profiler tells me:
ATI Radeon 9650:

Chipset Model: ATY,RV351
Type: Display
Bus: AGP
Slot: SLOT-1
VRAM (Total): 256 MB
Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x4150
Revision ID: 0x0000
ROM Revision: 113-A58503-115

Can anyone tell me if this card (which came with the G5) will allow me to use all the new functions of Photoshop CS4?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

NK
Neil_Keller
Feb 23, 2009
Shaun,

Is your card on Adobe’s list? See the tech notes in the grey panel on the Photoshop/Mac home page (one step up from here), particularly
< http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=kb 405711&sliceId=1> and < http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=kb 404898#supported>

Neil
SF
Shaun_Ferguson
Feb 25, 2009
(Strange – I posted a reply the other day – and it’s not here!)

Card not on their list – but they won’t have checked all the older cards. I hoped someone else might have a similar set-up and have tried it out.
S
NK
Neil_Keller
Feb 25, 2009
Shaun,

Then check with the card manufacturer.

Neil
R
Ram
Feb 25, 2009
Specifically, ask the card manufacturer if the card supports OpenGL 2 and Shader Model 3.
R
Ram
Feb 25, 2009
Or, download the CS4 trial version and see what it tells you.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Feb 25, 2009
Specifically, ask the card manufacturer if the card supports OpenGL 2 and Shader Model 3.

It doesn’t.

From MacPro Software:

ATI Radeon 9600 Pro 256MB, PC & Mac Editon ROHS < http://www.mac-pro.com/ATI-Radeon-9600-Pro-256MB-PC-Mac-Edit on ;jsessionid=0a0109441f43b58a907636f649dc8d13f81ccf39c9c3.e3e TaxmKbNaNe34Pa38Ta38Oax50 >

The Specs. say:

SmartShader 2.0 – Full support for OpenGL 2.0
SF
Shaun_Ferguson
Feb 25, 2009
Thanks for the replies.

I also found this statement on one forum: "If you expect the Radeon 9650 (standard equipment on the G5/2.7GHz Power Mac) to perform OpenGL and Core Image "miracles" just because it has 256MB of DDR and dual-link circuitry, you will be very disappointed."

So I took Ramón’s advice, downloaded Photoshop CS4 demo – and true enough, the 9650 card doesn’t have the necessary features.

All in all, having played around with CS4 today, I don’t think it offers me sufficient changes to justify upgrading from CS2 – for what I do I just don’t need the new features.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Feb 25, 2009
It is ONLY the OpenGL features of CS4 which will be unavailable to you with that card (which are only a very small part of CS4’s features) and Photoshop CS4 has advanced aeons beyond CS2 in so many respects.

If you use a digital camera, ACR 5.3 would be reason alone for upgrading to CS4; as would Bridge CS4.

You could always consider getting a better video card at a later date so that you would be able to use the OpenGL features in addition to the regular features of CS4.
NK
Neil_Keller
Feb 26, 2009
Shaun,

I currently run a G5 with a video card that does not support OpenGL features. I can’t do 3-D stuff or rotation. It hasn’t stopped me from using Photoshop and Bridge CS4. Overall, there is an improvement of features and their implementation compared with CS2 and even CS3.

Neil
R
Ram
Feb 26, 2009
Shaun,

having played around with CS4 today, I don’t think it offers me sufficient changes to justify upgrading from CS2

If you’re not a photographer shooting raw, I’d agree with you.

I upgraded exclusively on the strength of ACR 5.2 and later. However, Bridge is much improved, which should have been fixed in CS3.
SF
Shaun_Ferguson
Feb 26, 2009
I shall experiment more – thanks for the helpful comments. S

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections