N
Posted By
Nigemo
Feb 17, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m trying to create a halftone pattern using a custom pattern. I have tried the bitmap route, i.e BITMAP/CUSTOM PATTERN but this just tiles the pattern at a fixed size varying the thickness depending on the shade. I need a halftone pattern that scales.

Does anyone know how to do this?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

N
Nigemo
Feb 17, 2009
Sorry version is CS3.
CP
christoph_pfaffenbichler
Feb 17, 2009
James Talmadge has an impressive Script, that does this, albeit in Adobe Illustrator, named »Faux Halftone«.
See the first entry:
<http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3c05cfab/0>
P
PECourtejoie
Feb 18, 2009
What pattern do you want to use?
N
Nigemo
Feb 18, 2009
Thanks Christoph, how do you install the script though?

I don’t need any particular symbol, I would like to know how to do it so I could apply any simple symbol as a halftone. I saw an example on spin.co.uk. On the studio projects page under posters and it’s page 4.
CP
christoph_pfaffenbichler
Feb 18, 2009
Put the .js- or .jsx-file into Adobe Illustrator CS3 – Presets – Scripts, after starting Illustrator anew it should be available under File – Scripts.
JET also provides a tutorial as a pdf, without which You will probably not get anywhere with the Script, so read that please.
I’ve looked at the example You mentioned and I think »Faux Halftone« will help You there.
N
Nigemo
Feb 18, 2009
Yeah I saw the tutorial on how to use it but couldn’t work out what to do with the script. What you have said certainly clears that up. Thanks for your help!

I would be keen to know if there are any plugins for illustrator or photoshop (mac) that do a similar thing but in a less time consuming manner. I know there is one on the PC called Halftone 2.0 that allows you to use custom symbols as the basis of your halftone pattern.
CP
christoph_pfaffenbichler
Feb 18, 2009
Sorry, but I don’t know of any such plugins.

Allow me to point out an additional advantage of doing it in Illustrator though: One can easily change the form and size of the dots by editing the Symbol.
Unfortunately the grid itself cannot be edited that conveniently …

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections