Posted By
levonk
Feb 7, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi,

there is an old thread for this in the archives: <http://www.adobeforums.com/webx?128@@.59b54415>

Has anyone found a replacement plugin or a good tutorial to achieve power tones?

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

B
BinaryFX
Feb 8, 2009
levonk, as discussed in that archived topic on "extended duotones", two common options would be to either run the plug in Classic mode on an OS X PPC with an old Classic version of Photoshop, or to run MS Win. on an Intel Mac (virtual or Bootcamp). The support for MS Win is more up to date than for the Mac which stopped at OS9.

I don’t know of another similar plug-in by another party, for any platform.

I do have some ideas on how to do a similar thing in Photoshop using stock features, however this will very much depend on the nature of the original image and the two ink colours being used. In a quick test to prove the concept with a single image, I came close to the demo of the output of the 1.5 version (which I found on an install disk for Photoshop 5.5, back then Powertone was from Intense software, not Creo). My guess is that for most images it would not be as easy to come up with a close match to Powertone.

levonk (or Molly D), the forum would need a sample image and the two ink colours to play with in order to see what is possible using stock Photoshop tools.

TIP: various channels, colour modes, ChOps (blending) and curve moves will come into play, as well as multichannel mode and or spot colour channels.

Regards,

Stephen Marsh
JC
Jay Chevako
Feb 8, 2009
From memory, working from a cmyk image I use the channel mixer to isolate the image to just the black and cyan channels (my job is K and a blue spot color). On the channels palette, delete the magenta and yellow channels, then drag the cyan channel below the black channel. Convert the file to greyscale then assign the cyan channel the proper spot color.

I may have missed a few details

This is a hit and miss type of thing since I’m using cyan in the channel mixer instead of the spot blue. I will often repeat the process a few times to get it just right.
Jay

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections