J
Posted By
J._Kennedy
May 25, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi all! This is probably a stupid question, but I can’t figure it out. I did go to the help menu, but I still can’t figure it out. I have a shape. I want it to look like it’s moving. I would think I’d use the motion blur… but that does both sides of the image. Is there a way to just do one side… as if the shape is zooming along? Or do I just need to chop off half the blur? Thanks so much.

Julie

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

EH
Ed_Hannigan
May 25, 2007
Try the Wind filter with a little Blur on a duplicate layer. It’s a bit tricky but it might give you what you are looking for.

Smudge tool could also be useful.
B
Bernie
May 25, 2007
Or multiple layers with various motion blurs applied to them. (you’ll probably want to play with the opacity and the position too
GA
George_Austin
May 26, 2007
Create a selection rectangle and apply motion blur to the selection.
GD
glen_deman
May 26, 2007
Whatever method you use, it’s not a bad idea to do the blur on a duplicate layer, then you can go back and tweak where the effect shows (masking) and also how gradually it transitions between the two images.
J
J._Kennedy
May 26, 2007
Thanks so much for all your advice! I’ll give it a try.

Julie
QP
Q_Photo
May 26, 2007
Copy layer (subject). Add motion blur, Erase or mask area that you don’t want forward of subject. All four previous replies should be considered. Each has good points. In particular, Cybernetic Nomad (reply 2) said to use multiple layers.
Q
SW
Steven_Widoff
Jun 14, 2007
This method assumes that you only want one trailing edge to blur… The help menu says there should be 360 degrees of control, I get -90 through 90. With a trail in either direction. impossible to get desired effect on lets say a tree branch…
J
johntolliday
Jun 16, 2007
Take a history snapshot before you blur, then history brush back the parts you don’t want blurred using that snapshot. (you can also edit > fade to fine tune each time you use the history brush on a different part of the blurred image)

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections