JA
Posted By
Jim_At_Hoyne
Feb 5, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’ve got a packaging job that has a flat expanse of a spot colour with smaller CMYK elements floating over the top.

I’ve made the spot channel, knocking through the spot channel where I need the CMYK elements to sit. Obviously I need to create a trap.

I don’t want to use the Photoshop Trap function on these files, because that seems to SPREAD the spot channel over the CMYK elements, and it’ll impinge on the CMYK elements too much, visibly reducing their size.

What I need to do is clone the edge pixels of the CMYK elements OUT to create my trap, but I’m wondering if there’s a fast way to do it that doesn’t require me manually cloning the edge.

I suppose I’m trying to replicate the "offset path" function in illustrator.

Ideas?

– Also tried duping the layers and just transforming them, but it obviously doesn’t uniformly spread the edge.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

CP
christoph_pfaffenbichler
Feb 5, 2009
Sometimes, obviously depending on the image in question or the part thereof, applying Filter – Other – Minimum to a duplicate of the layer and then soft-masking it to spread into the original image only a little has helped me.
Adding a little noise or applying a Pattern Overlay to match the original’s grain seems advisable.
JM
J_Maloney
Feb 5, 2009
Make the spot channel a very dark color (Pantone process K would be good). Then the CMYk elements should spread. Once trapped, revert the spot channel back to spot x.
B
Buko
Feb 5, 2009
You can set the trap to any pixel amount you want.
JA
Jim_At_Hoyne
Feb 6, 2009
Massive thanks to christoph pfaffenbichler & J Maloney.

Both those solutions work really well with a small amount of tweaking.

Saved me A LOT of hours.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections