TC
Posted By
Terrell_Cohen
May 23, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I searched for posts on this and found nothing.
Running Vista, PS CS3 installed without a hitch and ran fine until today. Now running it as a user I get the message telling me the file is locked (does not say which file – not sure if it is a program file, dll, data or just what) PS CS3 runs fine if I run it as administrator. I suppose that I could just set it up to run as administrator, but I hate to let the computer beat me. I have given full permissions to users for the PS CS3 files and folders. PS CS3 must be looking for some other file that does not have full permissions for users.

Anybody else run into this or does anyone have a solution?

Thanks
Terry

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

DM
dave_milbut
May 24, 2007
see the faq in this forum. look for permisssions.
M
mike
May 28, 2007
On 23 mayo, 19:40, wrote:
I searched for posts on this and found nothing.
Running Vista, PS CS3 installed without a hitch and ran fine until today. Now running it as a user I get the message telling me the file is locked (does not say which file – not sure if it is a program file, dll, data or just what) PS CS3 runs fine if I run it as administrator. I suppose that I could just set it up to run as administrator, but I hate to let the computer beat me. I have given full permissions to users for the PS CS3 files and folders. PS CS3 must be looking for some other file that does not have full permissions for users.

Anybody else run into this or does anyone have a solution?
Thanks
Terry

I don’t know if you have solved this issue; if not try this: launch CS3 whilst holding down the Ctr./Alt./Shift keys; this will open the program and ask if you wish to delete the preferences. Answer "Yes" and then it should work without a problem.

Mike
TC
Terrell_Cohen
May 30, 2007
If anyone is interested, the problem is addressed, a little indirectly here < http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?event=v iew&id=KC.kb400950&extid=kb400950&dialogID=15353 821&iterationID=1&sessionID=96307bf6a0066713693b&amp ;stateID=0+0+15361505&mode=simple>

Apparently the "locked" file I was encountering was a problem with the PS CS3 preferences file. the fix iwas to rename that file, forcing PS to create a new preferences file on startup.

Terry
C
cdoany
Jun 19, 2007
On May 30, 7:13 pm, wrote:
If anyone is interested, the problem is addressed, a little indirectly here < http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?event=v iew&id=KC…>

Apparently the "locked" file I was encountering was a problem with the PS CS3 preferences file. the fix iwas to rename that file, forcing PS to create a new preferences file on startup.

Terry

Ok… I finally figured it out… I was getting the same problem every time I changed the preferences in CS3… … the only way to fix it would be to run CS3 holding down the Ctr./Alt./Shift keys as Mike stated above (good tip by the way)… but… every time I changed the preferences again, I got the same problem again the next time I ran CS3.

It turns out that this was because of one particular preference. When I changed the Photoshop "scratch disk" (under preferences), Photoshop was attempting to create its temp file on a drive (in my case e:\) where it had no permissions… so… I was forced to go to COMPUTER (or my computer), then right click on drive E: – click on PROPERTIES in the drop menu. Choose the SECURITY tab at the top, and edit the permissions in such a way as add SYSTEM under groups and users, then give SYSTEM enough permissions (for the root directory at least) to allow it to create the Photoshop temp file there.

Hope this helps…
Cam

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections