M
Posted By
MacWright
Feb 2, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
CS3 PS recognizes up to 3gb of installed memory even on boxes with more, should the prefs slider be set to use 100% of the 3gb if much more is available (10gb) in the mac?

Does the "ideal range" indication assume that the 3gb that has been identified is actually the total installed amount?

thx.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer πŸ”₯πŸ”₯πŸ”₯

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

AW
Allen_Wicks
Feb 2, 2009
Memory allocation/utilization is complex, not simple math. Many folks find some number less than 100% (e.g. 70%) works best, others seem OK with 100%. Do trial and error with your specific workflow.
M
MacWright
Feb 2, 2009
hi Allen,

I guess the question that I’m curious about is whether the calculation for the "ideal range" takes into consideration the additional ram, or whether this was a legacy tool, developed when there was a real ram limitation.

thanks again,

j
AW
Allen_Wicks
Feb 2, 2009
IMO it is complex, not properly a calculation under MacIntels with appropriate RAM. How Adobe gets to "ideal" I do not know. My guess is that it is legacy; after all there are lots of legacy hardware setups out there
M
MacWright
Feb 2, 2009
IMO it is complex

most definitely : )
R
Ram
Feb 2, 2009
when there was a real ram limitation

There is still a RAM limitation. It’ll be there until Photoshop for the Mac is a 64-bit application, like CS4 is in Windoze.
M
MacWright
Feb 2, 2009
There is still a RAM limitation.

you’re right!

I wonder if Adobe and Apple have created a problem with the Mac desktop, desktop hardware is in need of an update from the mini to the pro and in need of something to fill the void, and not a very compelling argument for a non-64bit CS4 with the exception of the built-in obsolescence of ACR.

Maybe the concept of the desktop is a dinosaur or has it just been ignored.
NK
Neil_Keller
Feb 2, 2009
Mac,

Yes, we could certainly use some new desktop hardware.

and not a very compelling argument for a non-64bit CS4 with the exception of the built-in obsolescence of ACR.

???

Neil
AW
Allen_Wicks
Feb 3, 2009
There is still a RAM limitation. It’ll be there until Photoshop for the Mac is a 64-bit application, like CS4 is in Windoze.

Yes, in terms of directly addressing RAM a limitation remains. However focusing only on directly addressable RAM often leads to a flawed thought process as to RAM utility.

CS4 under OS X already can take advantage of up to at least 32 GB of onboard RAM and very few users have beefed their setups to use the full 32 GB already available today. Folks need to be looking to setups with more RAM on board rather than worrying about when CSx Mac will be 64-bit.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Feb 3, 2009
Concerning 64-bits:
Mac users can PRINT at 64-bits Β… Widows Users cannot.
R
Ram
Feb 3, 2009
Mac users can PRINT at 64-bits Β… Widows Users cannot.

I think you mean 16-bits, Ann. πŸ™‚
M
MacWright
Feb 3, 2009
CS4 under OS X already can take advantage of up to at least 32 GB of onboard RAM

Hi Allen,

If CS4 was a 64bit app would it perform better than the current memory management?

regards, j
AW
Allen_Wicks
Feb 3, 2009
If CS4/mac was a 64bit app would it perform better than the current memory management?

I have no idea, but consider that a hypothetical question anyway. Most likely the next version will perform better, but that is simply the nature of next versions.
L
Lundberg02
Feb 3, 2009
And then there was Photoshop 5.
M
MacWright
Feb 3, 2009
but that is simply the nature of next versions

true but with CS4 still an infant, there may be a full CS lifecycle before we see a Mac 64bit version, maybe it matters, maybe not. But in the meanwhile we have a 64bit OS and nothing to wear (metaphorically speaking : )
M
MacWright
Feb 3, 2009
on further thought…. I bet we see a 4.5 mid-upgrade
R
Ram
Feb 3, 2009
CS4 will never be 64-bits, period. CS5 will be the first opportunity to see a 64-bit Mac version, if it materializes.

I bet we see a 4.5 mid-upgrade

How much money are you willing to lose?
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Feb 3, 2009
Re: #10

Indeed! 16-bits PRINTING.( And it is available to others apart from "widows" too.)
M
MacWright
Feb 3, 2009
How much money are you willing to lose?

sounds like the theme song of 08-09 : )

my guess is that CS4 will not be selling like hot cakes, for a variety of reasons, some the economy, some marketing, lack of defining features, etc. Apple will eventually release new faster desktops and Adobe will use the opportunity to put some new gift wrapping on the CS4.

just thinking out load.

best regards
R
Ram
Feb 3, 2009
I had totally missed the widows part, Ann. πŸ˜€
JJ
John Joslin
Feb 3, 2009
Adobe will use the opportunity to put some new gift wrapping on the CS4.

Converting Photoshop to a 64-bit version can hardly be called "gift wrapping"! It’s a bit more involved than putting it in a new box. B)
M
MacWright
Feb 3, 2009
It’s a bit more involved than putting it in a new box.

agreed, but an 18-24 month product lifecycle offers some headroom for re-development, especially since Adobe has been aware of the Cocoa situation for almost 1 year already. I’m no software engineer but it seems that the timeline is doable before the next CS release, since there is a potential total 2.5-3 years between the Cocoa announcement and CS5.

In conjunction with the 64bit question, John Nack has already mentioned transitional PS products that Adobe has released in the past such as 2.5 when there was a 68>PPC upgrade, or the upgrade for G5 when that evolved. He hasn’t committed to any timeline or any specific CS for a 64bit version, except that it’s been pursued since the Carbon>Cocoa announcement.

….. it was just a thought, and there are both product, marketing and external issues that might keep it on the table for discussion.

regards.
NK
Neil_Keller
Feb 3, 2009
MacWright,

It involves pretty much a complete rebuilding of the application, not just swapping out some processing module, so a mid-cycle release may not be practical.

Neil
AW
Allen_Wicks
Feb 3, 2009
My guess is that despite the praises from a few fangirls like Ann (who are countered by silly issues like lost Contact Sheet functionality), the overpriced upgrade cost CS3–>CS4 has significantly limited upgrade sales. It is the first upgrade that I did not immediately purchase – – and that was before the recession was in full swing.

Product test cycles cost money. In a recession/depression tightening the upgrade cycle to achieve an x.5 release would not make a lot of sense unless it was used as an opportunity to lower price.

Only a very significant price cut will sell CS4 upgrades at this point. After all, CS3 is a very good app, and trying to drive upgrade sales by limiting things like ACR upgrades to CS4 just drives folks like me further into Aperture, C1, NX2, etc. workflows.
M
MacWright
Feb 3, 2009
It involves pretty much a complete rebuilding of the application, not just swapping out some processing module, so a mid-cycle release may not be practical.

CS5 will be a feature bump to the new CS4 interface… add-ons. So a mid cycle upgrade would allow Adobe to push towards the later portion of the CS cycle to release CS5 and extend the sales of CS4.5 (which becomes the current product, not an upgrade from CS4 but from CS3)

Only a very significant price cut will sell CS4 upgrades at this point.

that may be the point, if CS4 isn’t selling with the exception of new boxes/seats, then CS4.5 becomes an economical way (for Adobe) of extending the time between CS4 and CS5, and… gives a reason to make a first purchase into the CS4/4.5 suite.

If CS4 was a 64bit app, whether it was a substantial speed increase or not I would guess that more upgrades would be sold, and more MacPro’s etc. So there is reason from both Adobe and Apple to make it happen.

just drives folks like me further into Aperture, C1, NX2, etc. workflows.

lack of real competition always creates havoc with the marketplace.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Feb 3, 2009
countered by silly issues like lost Contact Sheet functionality.

Contact Sheets are still included: you can make them in Bridge; AND you can still make them in Photoshop CS5 if you install the optional Plug-ins and Scripts.

Anyone who uses a digital camera is REALLY missing out if they don’t install CS4 if for no other reason (and there are A LOT of other reasons!) than to get ACR 5.2 and Bridge CS4.

Isn’t it strange that those that are knocking CS4 the most vocally, don’t actually seem to have bought it?!

The Grapes are much sweeter than you think!

8/
B
Buko
Feb 3, 2009
MacWright, read this and you will see that the 64bit version will not happen till CS5.

<http://blogs.adobe.com/jnack/2008/04/photoshop_lr_64.html>
M
MacWright
Feb 3, 2009
Isn’t it strange that those that are knocking CS4 the most vocally, don’t actually seem to have bought it?!

I have the CS4 extended suite…. but because my clients will not be updating it creates a long term complicated workflow issue, so CS3 will be on my computer for quite a while.

will not happen till CS5.

I spent far too much time "discussing" the idea of feathered paths in PS a couple years ago on this forum and nobody thought that was going to happen. Oops, it’s in CS4. Things happen, things change. I didn’t read anything absolute in that article except that it wasn’t going to happen in CS4, maybe CS4.5 or an earlier than normal cycle to deliver CS5? I’m just chatting about the future. that’s all and now its time for me to sign off for awhile.

best regards everyone.
AW
Allen_Wicks
Feb 3, 2009
countered by silly issues like lost Contact Sheet functionality.

Contact Sheets are still included: you can make them in Bridge; AND you can still make them in Photoshop CS5 if you install the optional Plug-ins and Scripts.

Of course there are workarounds like opening another app that unlike you some of us do not like, but like I said Contact Sheet functionality was lost.

Anyone who uses a digital camera is REALLY missing out if they don’t install CS4 if for no other reason (and there are A LOT of other reasons!) than to get ACR 5.2 and Bridge CS4.

As a long-time PS user but very nouveau DSLR person you think Bridge is great and that somehow ACR is better than all the other RAW conversions. I do not doubt that for many old film scan PS hands Bridge is a good choice, but for many (IMO most) modern DSLR users Aperture, LR or other choices are superior to Bridge/ACR.

Not strange at all. Why pay a $600 upgrade if you are not convinced that $600 of value-add is provided? Especially when CS3 remains a fully competent app and historically ACR has not provided the best RAW conversions.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Feb 3, 2009
Never mind "historically" Β… have you actually tried ACR 5.2? πŸ™‚

And regarding "other converters": I did try Capture NX2 and found it to be far too slow and unwieldy and to offer no advantages over ACR.

I probably also think that Bridge is great because it integrates all of the applications within the Suite.

I can put all of the files (of what ever kind) that are needed for a project into a single Collection and then use a single window as a Command Post when flitting between ACR, Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Acrobat and Web-authoring applications.

The way that Collections now work is another one of the compelling new features in Bridge CS4 as far as I am concerned.
R
Ram
Feb 3, 2009
MacW,

Adobe lawyers and bean counters will simply NOT allow any new features to be added in a dot release, period. They cite "legal reasons" for it. So any new feature, no matter how small, will have to wait for CS5. It’s that simple.
R
Ram
Feb 3, 2009
also think that Bridge is great because it integrates all of the applications within the Suite.

Β…and even some applications outside the suite. πŸ˜‰
M
MacWright
Feb 3, 2009
Adobe lawyers and bean counters will simply NOT allow any new features to be added in a dot release, period.

but it’s been done before.

John Nack says: I can offer a little bit of history, though. When Apple moved from 68k processors to the PowerPC, Adobe offered a free update to PS 2.5. (Quark, as I recall, charged handsomely for the equivalent update.) Later, when the G5 came out, we offered a free update to Photoshop 7, even though CS1 was just six weeks off. (It would have been easy to say, "Well, to get that update, you have to buy the new version," but that’s not how we wanted to roll.) Then when the PPC->Intel transition happened, the scope of the changes were too great to offer that kind of update, but I was able to persuade the company to do something it had never tried: releasing a public beta of Photoshop so that all current customers could get native performance six months earlier than would otherwise have been possible. It was quite a gamble, but it was the right thing to do.
R
Ram
Feb 4, 2009
Ps 2.5

That was eons ago. Adobe was a different corporation back then, not the mammoth bureaucracy with over 5,000 employees it is today. Today’s legal department is probably larger than the whole of Adobe was back then.

Ps 7

A free update of a dying application is quite different from a dot release.
R
Ram
Feb 4, 2009
Besides, Adobe has already stated there will not be a 64-bit version of Photoshop for the Mac before CS5Β—at the earliest.
M
MacWright
Feb 4, 2009
Hi RamΓ³n,

I’m definitely not saying that your thoughts are wrong, but that it’s not the same economic environment that it was back in April ’08 when we last heard about Adobe’s plans.

Adobe has said (in ’08) that it wasn’t going to happen in the CS4 release. If CS4 stalls, there might be 1 or 2 meetings in San Jose to re-evaluate the plan.

I think we’ve played this one out, let’s meet back here in 8 months and see how the market has evolved. We can sit back, put our feet on the desk and dream about Adobes next move.

Cheers
R
Ram
Feb 4, 2009
8 months from now will be a full year since the release of CS4. The life cycle of CS3 was 18 months.

Your expectations are wishful dreaming.

it was back in April ’08 when we last heard about Adobe’s plans

Nope. It was in late October.
M
MacWright
Feb 4, 2009
a totally useless, mindless exchange

don’t take things so seriously : )

my original original thread was about the thought behind the "ideal range" calculation and whether this is an updated process. Since there’s no real tech support on this forum it morphed into a different conversation…….. just a conversation.

bye
R
Ram
Feb 4, 2009
just a conversation.

Right, a mindless one. πŸ˜‰

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer πŸ”₯πŸ”₯πŸ”₯

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections