EJ
Posted By
Enrique_J._Fernandez
Aug 17, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have several digital pictures that I took sdeveral years ago. I dumped the pictures from my camera to the hard drive (WIN XP HOME), and erase them from the camera. They opened fine. About 6 months ago I burned them to a CD and erased the files from the hard drive. Recently I needed to make hard copies of these, but when I tried opening them with Photoshop Elements I get the following error: : "Could not open file.jpg because an unknown or invalid jpeg marker type is found". These weer originally in JPEG format.

Is there any way I can save these pictures? They won’t open either with Windows Picture and Fax Viewer.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

R
RSD99
Aug 17, 2004
Try a few other programs that might be able to open and re-save them. A couple that come to mind are

IrfanView
http://www.irfanview.com/

SlowView
http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/978930288/1

wrote in message
I have several digital pictures that I took sdeveral years ago. I dumped the pictures
from my camera to the hard drive (WIN XP HOME), and erase them from the camera. They opened fine. About 6 months ago I burned them to a CD and erased the files from the hard drive. Recently I needed to make hard copies of these, but when I tried opening them with Photoshop Elements I get the following error: : "Could not open file.jpg because an unknown or invalid jpeg marker type is found". These weer originally in JPEG format.
Is there any way I can save these pictures? They won’t open either with Windows Picture
and Fax Viewer.
BH
Beth_Haney
Aug 17, 2004
Do they have the correct jpeg extension for your computer? You might double check. Also take a look at post #2 in this thread. I gave a link to Irfanview to a person who was having trouble opening a file. It worked for him, but your situation is different. It wouldn’t hurt to try, though. At this point you have nothing to lose. 🙁

Dick Vreeswijk "color table missing?" 8/17/04 12:07pm </cgi-bin/webx?13/2>

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections