Posted By
Les_Thurmond
Aug 17, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello All,

I’ve not encountered this problem before using black & white photos. When I open two very similar B&W photos side by side, I can’t get the clone stamp to allow me to put a better face on someone – By cloning from one photo to the other. As usual, I first click onto the source photo & object I want to clone or transfer to the other photo. I then click once onto the destination photo – Then when I click again to transfer the image, I get an error message that says, "Could not use the cloning stamp because the source & destination have different color tables." Well, I know that one photo has a little darker grayscale than the other, but their both B&W – So, what’s the deal here? Also, this person’s head in the source photo is just slightly larger than her head in the destination photo. Is there any way to make it a little smaller? Otherwise, it may not make that much difference. I believe that I scanned both of them in the very same way, but cannot say unequivocally.

Wendy – Where are you when I need you?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

CS
Chuck_Snyder
Aug 17, 2004
Les, when you say the images are black& white, are they Image>Mode>Grayscale or Image>Mode>RGB Color? You might try making them both RGB (by using Image>Mode and selecting RGB) and see if you get the same message.

Chuck (alas, not Wendy)
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Aug 17, 2004
Mac, that was where I was headed but wasn’t direct enough…..!
MM
Mac_McDougald
Aug 17, 2004
My guess: one is grayscale mode and one is RGB mode?

Mac
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Aug 17, 2004
Hi Les,

My guess too ……

BUT why not try lassoing the head from one image and doing a copy and paste into the other … much easier to position the new head than using the clone tool.

Wendy
LT
Les_Thurmond
Aug 17, 2004
Chuck,

That’s real funny! (alas, not Wendy) – And you’re instructions were so easy. My thanks to you & Mac (For his directness). And Wendy – What can I say…… Your lasso maneuver was much better than using the clone stamp.

And guess what? I even was able to shrink that head without the aid of a headhunter. I’m glad – Because it was my Mom’s head. Just used the lasso, and then scaled it down. This is fun!

THANKS AGAIN!

Les
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Aug 17, 2004
Les,

What a thing to do …. shrink your Mother’s head 🙂

Wendy
JF
Jodi_Frye
Aug 17, 2004
Wendy, as long as Les stays away from the liqufy tool I’m sure his mother will approve 😉
LT
Les_Thurmond
Aug 17, 2004
Wendy,

A shrunk head that has a more visible nose and smile is better than a larger one that doesn’t. But I’m going to blame it on her, because she doesn’t like the one I just replaced at all. I know that I’d better always say that she looks great! (Which she does)

Anyway, this particular photo has perhaps the most challenges of any I have. There is another part of this photo that is the main reason why I’m restoring it now – Instead of later. There is a dog in the picture that is the most favorite of my Mom’s family when they were growing up. Unfortunately, it is the only one that we know of – for whatever reason. I’m not sure if any of the rest of family has one or not. At least they won’t say that they have one. Consequently, Patsy looks very faded – especially her head – And there’s a part of her body that is a very faded streak across it. I’ve tried any number of times to improve it – But to no avail. At least it’s not satisfactory to me. Of course, the photo is B&W, and that makes it more difficult. She’s looks kind of like a golden, but Mom says that she coloring like an Iris Setter. If you have any suggestions please let me know. What I might have to do is take the photo to a portrait artist and see if he or she can just sketch it out of the photo. Perhaps, as I learn more and more about Elements, I can do it then.

Les
LT
Les_Thurmond
Aug 17, 2004
Hey Jodi-

Thanks for advice about the liquify tool – I’ll steer clear. BTW, Wendy says that you’re using PE 1 like me. Have you had any problems with not being able to use any of the "Filter" tools after using the lasso – And for that matter, anything. But I can use the tools under the "Enhance". Someone in an earlier post said that it had something to do with unlocking layers. But when I tried to unlock them I couldn’t. That’s when I started to think about getting PE 2. But as Wendy suggested I’m going to wait a while to see if PE 3 comes out.

Got any input?

Les
JF
Jodi_Frye
Aug 17, 2004
Les, PE1 is just like PE2…it gets fussy and acts naughty and sometimes just refuses to behave…that’s when we ‘delete preferences’…I have rarely done this (I have ‘trained’ my PE1 to behave..or else !)lol… but it is what works to fix those little problems;

on PC hold down ctrl+alt+shift the split second after you launch the program…you’ll get a pop up asking if ya want to beat the crap out of your software….say YES…no, really, just ay yes and that should set it straight.

On mac I guess it’s command+alt+shift.

if ya don’t get the pop up just keep trying,…you’ll get it eventually….just got to be quick is all 🙂
BH
Beth_Haney
Aug 17, 2004
You were close Jodi! On a Mac, it’s Command, Option, Shift. 🙂 Although I’m pretty sure Les is using a Win machine, I added that for the benefit of anybody else who happens along.
LT
Les_Thurmond
Aug 17, 2004
Jodi,

Thanks! Actually, I have been doing the ctrl+alt+shift for a while now, because someone else had suggested it. As a matter of fact, I had already tried last night quite a few times, and it didn’t work like it did when I first started using it. But after I read your response here, I tried it again – And it finally let me use the Filter again! It just goes to show you how cantankerous this thing is. Nevertheless, as long as I know that I can eventually make it work – That’s kind of reassuring. Now I can definitely wait until they come out with PE 3.

Les

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections