Left clicks on tools always cause submenu to pop up (CS3)

CS
Posted By
Craig_Stark
Jan 29, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Normal behavior for the tools palette is to have a simple left-click select the tool and some form of extended click (right click, held down, etc) get to the hidden, expanded submenu of tools to pop up.

For the last few months, I’ve been frustrated by the fact that no matter how I click on this, the expanded submenu pops up. So, I need to double-click on each tool to select the default one. Annoying at best.

I am not the first to hit this issue:
<http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=464492>

<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpep1x03Teo>

Is there any known fix for this? I tried recreating the Preferences (no luck). The machine I use all the time (MacBook Pro, 10.5.6, PS 10.0.1) is the affected machine. It doesn’t matter if I’ve got an external mouse plugged in or if I’m running on the trackpad and it seems to be limited to PS. Illustrator does not have this issue.

Craig

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jan 29, 2009
If you used the shortcuts, it wouldn’t happen of course.

🙂

Otherwise you may have to click more quickly — or change your mouse settings in System prefs.
CS
Craig_Stark
Jan 31, 2009
Ann,

I have never had this issue in any program other than Photoshop on the Mac. Other Adobe programs don’t have this problem on the same machine and it doesn’t matter how fast I click. I don’t have this problem on other computers using the same version of Photoshop on the Mac. This is not a physical problem I am having with the mouse nor is it a mouse setting. Please trust me on this (or direct me to what setting of the mouse says "left click = click and hold or right click but only in Adobe Photoshop and not in Illustrator or anything else". Watch the YouTube video and you can see that the submenu comes up instantly. Were it operating normally, there would be a half-second delay from the time the button was clicked and held to when the submenu pops up.

While I appreciate that there are ways around the issue, I hope you can appreciate that this is a bug and not the normal behavior. We should not all be made to memorize and use keyboard shortcuts.

Craig
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jan 31, 2009
It has to be something to do with your particular mouse.

I don’t normally use a Mouse — I use a Wcom instead — and I always access tools via shortcuts.

But just to humour you, I did try it with my single button standard G5 Mouse and a single click does NOT open the hidden tools fly-outs.

So I can only suggest that you try the different settings in the OSX System Prefs. and see if that makes any difference; or strangle that mouse and buy another one; or get a Wacom … or learn the shortcuts.
R
Ram
Jan 31, 2009
Craig,

I could not duplicate your issue in Photoshop 10.0.1 or 11. The submenus do not pop up unless I click and hold.

You may want to experiment with your mouse speed settings.

Incidentally, I’m 100% with you on not wanting to be forced to memorize any more shortcuts than absolutely necessary.
P
paulburd
Mar 10, 2009
Problem Solved! (at least for me)

Photoshop CS3 was running normally on my system until I reinstalled OS X (10.5.6) and Photoshop. All of a sudden I had the same problem listed here.

The problem does lie in the OS X system mouse settings for double-click speed. You cannot go higher (faster) than the third notch from the right. Adjusting the slider to be on or below the third notch will fix the problem.

IMPORTANT: You must quit Photoshop before adjusting the system preference.

See a screenshot here:
< http://www.onedigitallife.com/images/osx-ps-double-click-spe ed.gif>
CS
Craig_Stark
Mar 10, 2009
Thanks Paul! I stumbled across something else that may have done the same thing. What it took here was to unplug my Logitech mouse, plug in a Mighty mouse, unplug that and then replug in the Logitech. Now, I’m back to normal. The oddest part was that even my trackpad misbehaved when the Logitech wasn’t connected. But, somehow, plugging in the Mighty Mouse once reset some bad setting and brought it back. (Odd also that it didn’t affect Illustrator).

Craig

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections