IS
Posted By
Ideen_S
Jan 27, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Greetings. I am new to the Mac world, thus please excuse this simple question.

I have downloaded the dmg file for the Adobe Design Suite Premium CS4. How do I go about installing? If possible provide a 1-2-3 step (ending with deleting the dmg file).

I also noted that the Adobe download sign included a few other dmg files,
e.g., Deployment Toolkit, Content Extra and Resources, among others. Are
these essential?

Many thanks in advance.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

NK
Neil_Keller
Jan 27, 2009
Ideen,

Welcome to the Mac! I’m sure that you will soon be comfortably up and going with it. It is very easy to click and install. But, since I haven’t purchased/downloaded as you have, I’ll tackle the last part of your post: Yes. Download the other components and take a look at them. You may not need or want everything now. But at some point you may. Besides, you already paid for them!

Neil
B
Buko
Jan 27, 2009
mount the .dmg file by clicking on it.

when it is mounted it will appear just like you have a new drive mounted.

click the drive to open it

click the install icon.

follow the onscreen directions.
R
Ram
Jan 27, 2009
And why on Earth would you want to delete the dmg image? Save it! Discarding it would be like throwing your original install media in the trash.

Burn it to DVD.
B
Buko
Jan 28, 2009
And why on Earth would you want to delete the dmg image?

Missed that. Yeah hang on to that, just cost you close to $1000. Burn 2 DVDs Even 3. Lose it and you will end up paying it all over if you must reinstall and you don’t have that .dmg file.
NK
Neil_Keller
Jan 28, 2009
That goes without saying for ANY downloaded software (as well as for irreplaceable files). Burn and label several backup copies. You could consider a belt-and-suspenders approach and keep one set of backups in a safe place off-premises.

Neil
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jan 28, 2009
One thing to look out for:

You will see an Icon called "Setup" not "Install" but that Setup icon IS the Install Button.

I can’t imagine what possessed Adobe to label it thus.
SW
Scott_Weichert
Jan 28, 2009
Setup is standard on the Windows side. Has been for years. Adobe just synchronized the terminology.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jan 28, 2009
I may "Set-up" hardware but I "Install" software …

😉
B
Buko
Jan 28, 2009
Ann by now, after all your interactions with the "all knowing jim" you should just understand that you don’t know anything, including whether or not you are installing or setting up.

B)
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jan 28, 2009
Or why I am installing while standing on my head and while drinking a glass of water backwards?! 🙂
IS
Ideen_S
Jan 28, 2009
Thanks for all the hints. I really did not mean to "delete" but to remove from the HD; saving on a (DL) DVD sounds most appropriate.

I purchased the Premium package thru a university account for about $301; the Adobe download site says the download (a little more than 5GB) will take 5 hours on a T1 line; it has been about 6 hours and less than half has been downloaded. I am impatiently waiting 🙂

Thanks again!
NK
Neil_Keller
Jan 28, 2009
Ann,

I may "Set-up" hardware but I "Install" software …

When Adobe software installations for Macintosh start telling us about the "Recycle Bin" — then we panic! <g>

Neil
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jan 28, 2009
Yes it’s just too much effort to have to pre-sort and separate all those .exes from the .txts before putting out the Trash.
R
Ram
Jan 28, 2009
From various Adobe staff blogs and communication with Adobe folks I get the distinct impression that the "setup" terminology is the brainchild of some unnamed installer team, not connected to any the teams that actually work on the various applications in the suite. The Photoshop team is not happy with said installer team at all.
NT
Nini Tj
Jan 28, 2009
Ideen, download the other .dmg files as well as they belong to the package, have extra plug-ins, manuals etc. which you will not get any other way.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections