K
Posted By
Kugar13
May 20, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am interested in making desktop wallpapers (800 x 600 and 1024 x 768), but was unsure what DPI/Pixels per inch I should use. Any suggestions?
I’m using RGB 16 bit. Is that correct as well?

Thank you!

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

BL
Bob Levine
May 20, 2007
PPI (note, the DPI is for printers) is irrelevant. Only pixel count matters. So 800×600 at 722 ppi or 800 ppi will yield the same result.

And 8 bit will be just fine.

Bob
K
Kugar13
May 21, 2007
Thanks Bob! Is there somewhere I can find this info collectively? Like a guide or something? I know many of my questions are ignorant. If I knew where to find the info I wouldn’t be bothering you guys on here with some of these questions.

Thanks again!
DM
Don_McCahill
May 21, 2007
Kugar

Google and Wikipedia are both very good.
BL
Bob Levine
May 21, 2007
I wish. <g>

Bob
K
Kugar13
May 21, 2007
Looks like you do Bob!

Can you say crazed stalking photoshop fan that needs a restraining order?

LOL!
BL
Bob Levine
May 21, 2007
Honestly, I don’t even rate compared to some of the others here. It seems with every new release I know even less.

I use PS for print and web stuff almost exclusively so the rest of the stuff is just more to learn.

Bo
EH
Ed_Hannigan
May 21, 2007
The manual and Help are good things to glance through. Plus there are scads of Photoshop resources on the web.
K
Kugar13
May 21, 2007
No matter how dumb/elementary/trivial the questions I ask on here I always try to look em up first. I know it seems like I don’t (based on the questions I post), but I do. I find the easy questions are hard to find and the hard questions are easy to find. Ok, now laugh! LOL

Thanks for the help guys! I don’t know what I would do without….
JJ
John_Joslin
May 21, 2007
Why don’t you just try it? You will probably find that the ppi is irrelevant. In Windows XP you can right-click on any JPG file and set it as the desktop background. It can then be centered, tiled or stretched using the display properties dialog.
DM
Don_McCahill
May 21, 2007
It seems with every new release I know even less.

Tell me about it. I got certified as ACE for PS 6. Now I am a complete moron (well, not quite) with CS2.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections