Posted By
Jim_Jordan
Jan 27, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
….and another reason not to be smug about Mac security:

Photoshop CS4, if obtained illicitly, may not be such a great deal. See the January 26 news article on SecureMac.com <http://www.securemac.com/>.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jan 27, 2009
Moshe Ronen, "ACR 5.3 RC – how to regress to 5.2?" #5, 27 Jan 2009 1:16 am </webx?14/4>
JJ
Jim_Jordan
Jan 27, 2009
?

I’m going to need some assistance in understanding the last two posts. They refer to downgrading/regressing software. Is Ann suggesting pirates go back to a previous release?
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jan 27, 2009
Nothing to do with the Piracy issue — except that the warning messages which are being experienced may be false alarms that were triggered by installed Anti-viral software.

Also, more reasons for not getting too paranoid about installing "Security Upgrades" prematurely because the cure can be a LOT worse than the very slight risk of infection.

Another way to keep out of the Infection Zone is to abstain from having the urge to try-out every Haxie and experimental lump of software that shows up on Google.
NK
Neil_Keller
Jan 27, 2009
Frankly, I have no sympathy with anyone who attempts to cheat the system by downloading or purchasing pirated software — and then gets stung. But it’s not new news that such software can include malware (Mac or Win). I was aware of this at least 15 years ago.

But a reminder never hurts.

Neil
NK
Neil_Keller
Jan 27, 2009
Frankly, I have no sympathy with anyone who attempts to cheat the system by downloading or purchasing pirated software — and then gets stung. But it’s not new news that such software can include malware (Mac or Win). I was aware of this at least 15 years ago.

But a reminder never hurts.

As far as antivirus warnings (yes, I do use Norton AntiVirus on a number of Mac systems over the years; no, I’ve never had a problem with it), the advice is generally to scan the software at download. Then temporarily disable the antivirus software during installation.

Neil
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jan 27, 2009
If the "Malware warning" gives the Pirates a fright, that is a good thing!

However, some perfectly legal users appear to be hitting the same warning which was my purpose in posting this Link:
Moshe Ronen, "ACR 5.3 RC – how to regress to 5.2?" #5, 27 Jan 2009 1:16 am </webx?14/4>
JJ
Jim_Jordan
Jan 27, 2009
Nothing to do with the Piracy issue — except that the warning messages which are being experienced may be false alarms that were triggered by installed Anti-viral software

That is not reflected in post #1. Your first post was only about QT.

Your second post referred to an AV issue on Windows, not Mac.

This IS a Mac Forum in case you hadn’t noticed.

To suggest that this particular report of a Mac trojan is a false positive just goes to show how far some heads are buried in the sand.

Another way to keep out of the Infection Zone is to abstain from having the urge to try-out every Haxie and experimental lump of software that shows up on Google.

Ahemm… Are we ignoring the fact that the greatest exploits to Mac in the past few years have come from Acrobat, Flash and Quicktime (which have all been heavily patched)? If you really want to avoid the infection zone, you would not be using Apple and Adobe software.
NK
Neil_Keller
Jan 27, 2009
Ann,

I don’t know anything about the particular antivirus software Moshe is talking about. Some such software is prone to false warnings and/or missing the real deal.

Neil
JJ
Jim_Jordan
Jan 27, 2009
I don’t know anything about the particular antivirus software Moshe is talking about.

Whatever it is, it is Windows-based. Mac users do not use files that end in ‘.EXE’ and paths defined by backslashes.

However, should a Mac user want AV software, here are a few that Apple promotes on their own site:

< http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/networking_security/pr otectmacantivirus.html>

< http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/networking_security/av astantivirusmacedition.html>

I don’t specifically endorse these like Apple does. There are other AV options for Mac as well.
B
Buko
Jan 27, 2009
Well installing anything pirate is a bad idea. We’ve all known that Windows versions of pirate Photoshop contain malware why should Mac versions be any different? But if you play by the rules and have all legit software, a Mac is still pretty much bullet proof compared to Windows machines. In fact paying attention to what gets installed on either platform is the first step in system security.

Clicking on links in suspicious email is also another way to screw up your computer, but people do it everyday. So best way not to get bitten by malicious software is to use common sense.

As far as Ann’s post about QT 7.6, Apples system malware. Again how many times has Apple screwed us over with crappy QT updates I put this update on hold just because I had a feeling. I don’t have any games so I’m probably safe but I will let all the guinea-pigs do their thing and wait for Apple to release the new fixed version.
JJ
Jim_Jordan
Jan 27, 2009
Again how many times has Apple screwed us over with crappy QT updates

There’s the gamble we all face. How many times has Apple screwed us with Quicktime having so many security holes? The common Mac user has no idea what stuff has already gotten into their system because there is a complacent culture that mistakenly assumes Mac is secure. I bet few of us use any monitoring software that watch for unauthorized net connections or other malware. How can we know Mac is secure if so many of us don’t have any sort of tool to monitor?

See all the security holes allegedly fixed with QT7.6:
<http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3403>

Note that the Photoshop trojan is installed because the user willingly gives up their admin password to it. These Quicktime security problems do not require the user to offer any administrative access. No one is safe by sitting on the sidelines.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jan 27, 2009
I agree Buko. We have had one trouble-making QT Security patch after another from Apple over the past year!

QT 7.5 actually prevented my CD burner from working at all (it was rendered unable to recognize disks of any sort) so I went back to QT7.4.5 (which causes no problems at all with CS4 or anything else and my CD/DVD Drive was returned to health!) and I am just sticking with 7.4.5!

[Yes, I do know about the OWC replacement drives, but while this one works, I would rather spend money on other things — like Nikon’s "glass"!]

I am well aware that Moshe’s AVG is Windows software but if one anti-viral is triggering that particular false message, there is every possibility that other AV programs could do the same thing — which just could be the scenario in the case to which the OP originally referred.
JJ
Jim_Jordan
Jan 27, 2009
the case to which the OP originally referred

This OP was not referring to a false positive. This is a real trojan being installed with pirated Mac software.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jan 27, 2009
I bet few of us use any monitoring software that watch for unauthorized
net connections or other malware. How can we know Mac is secure if so many of us don’t have any sort of tool to monitor? >

I frankly don’t worry if my Mac is "secure" or not ( a statement that will probably drive the OP bonkers!)

I am far more concerned not to screw-up an operating System that runs flawlessly by installing Apple’s insufficiently tested and too hastily released "Patches" which have too often caused more trouble than they are worth.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jan 27, 2009
This OP was not referring to a false positive. This is a real trojan being installed with pirated Mac software.

How can you be so sure?

Anyway Pirates deserve what they get!
JJ
Jim_Jordan
Jan 27, 2009
How can you be so sure?

My apologies are due. I think I have just realized why Ann has acted so ignorant in the past few threads about viruses and NTFS read/write on Mac. I have been forming links with HTML that lead to more info and she has been failing to click on them before she spouts her uninformed replies.

I will try to remember to post the links outside of href tags in the future so she is no longer oblivious. 🙂
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jan 27, 2009
Your rude sarcasm is not appreciated:

I did read that particular link — and took it with a large pinch of salt.

However, i have to admit that I don’t always bother to follow-up on many of the links that you post as the subject matter is often of little interest to someone who does NOT use the Windows platform nor wish to waste time experimenting with Haxies from the internet.
JJ
Jim_Jordan
Jan 27, 2009
Ann, put down the illegal substance. We’re talking about a Mac trojan, not Windows. Ann’s Mac needs a Breathalyzer before she is allowed to type.
JJ
Jim_Jordan
Jan 27, 2009
Ann, if you are so truly concerned about grammar, go back and edit this <http://www.adobeforums.com/webx?14@@.59b78a11/74>.

Ann Shelbourne, "2009 Macs and Peripherals :: General Discussion" #71, 23 Jan 2009 2:38 pm </webx?14/74>

If you need help:
<http://owl.english.purdue.edu/handouts/esl/esltensverb.html>
B
Buko
Jan 27, 2009
I can see another closed thread coming up again due to Jim hostility.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jan 27, 2009
Get lost!
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jan 27, 2009
Jim does it deliberately, incessantly with the stated purpose of disrupting this Forum.
JJ
Jim_Jordan
Jan 27, 2009
Yes, I deliberately disrupt and shut down my own thread.

Are you two able to recognize how insane you are?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections