K
Posted By
KiwiC
May 16, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Something I have found to be not working consistently is "Image > Adjustments > Variations…". When I click the menu item at times it would take an extraordinarily long time to load, with no hourglass cursor, and then nothing would happen at all. I now cannot get it to work at all – click "adjustments…" nothing happens, no cursor change, a bit of disk activity then nada.

I thought it might be a conflict with a legacy plug-in, because at one point when I deleted the settings file (my legacy plugins are accessed via a remote folder in prefs) it started working again, however every time I have tried this again since it hasn’t worked, even when the plugins are not installed.

In fact I can’t get it to work at all now. I have deleted the settings file & rebooted several times, and even did a "repair" reinstallation which took 1 1/2 hrs – longer than the whole suite took to install in the first place – but nothing has made it work again.

Is there something I can do or just write it off? Everything else seems to be working fine…

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

JJ
John Joslin
May 16, 2007
The image has to be RGB or CMYK, 8 Bits/Channel.
K
KiwiC
May 16, 2007
yes, that is correct
K
KiwiC
May 17, 2007
This problem is definitely related to plugin conflict. It is not yet resolved but there is a development. I was running Extensis MaskPro 3.x and the Masking function seemed to be working fine in CS3. But I decided to uninstall and upgrade to On One MaskPro 4.1, reportedly CS3-ready, trying to get the plugins in order. After doing this the variations command started running the "MaskPro 4.1 Make work path" function. And now that is what sticks.

Is there any way I can access the command script for the menu, or some fix that doesn’t involve a complete uninstall and reinstall of the CS3 suite? Deleting prefs and repair reinstallations of Photoshop don’t work.
K
KiwiC
May 17, 2007
OK I’ve got not a fix but a kludge anyway. If I disable the file "onOne Library.acel.8bx" located in the Plugins folder by renaming it with a .bak extension, then I get "Variations" back. I lose the onOne menu, with its "MaskPro 4.1 Make work path" function, but I never used that anyway. Masking still works fine, accessed in the "Filters" menu. I will raise this with onOne.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections