S
Posted By
siteseer
Aug 5, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’ve just started scanning negatives, slides, and prints for retouching in PE. I think I might be scanning for overkill, maybe I’m overshooting how big an image I need to work with. My issue is that I scan at a high dpi rate, and this results in elephant sized 45 MB (from 8×10 print) to 147 MB (from negative) tiff images. Sure, my 8×10 prints come out looking great – no visible pixelation or jpg style "chunking" like some prints I’ve cranked out using other people’s files.

What is a good dpi to go for so I don’t have these huge files that take forever to load up, and are a bear to store, but still give what looks like a photograph instead of something that yells "digital image"? If huge files are just the nature of the beast, I’m ok with that, but if I can make life easier on my storage, why not?

Scanner = Epson 2450 Photo, printer = Epson 2200. I print some color, but mainly b/w. Thanks.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections