GN
Posted By
Ghost_Nine
May 11, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am constantly getting the error message with photoshop and illustrator that I am out of ram. But that is ridiculous considering I have 2 gigs of ram and I have the scratch disks all set up. What is going on and how do I fix it because it is driving me nuts!

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

C
chrisjbirchall
May 11, 2007
This could happen if you have Photoshop’s RAM allocation set too high. The default 55% is about right for a system with up to 2GB of physical RAM.

Also look at setting the Windows paging file (Virtual Memory) to min=max=4GB
GN
Ghost_Nine
May 12, 2007
that’s what my allocation is set to.

Where do you find the windows paging file settings?
JZ
Joe_Zydeco
May 12, 2007
Open System Properties (Hold down WindowsKey, tap Pause/Break), then click Advanced tab>Performance Settings>Advanced tab>Change. Select a drive for the paging file, click Custom size, enter 4096 into both boxes, click Set, Okay, Okay, Okay. Okay? 🙂
AI
alan_ingham
May 12, 2007
Joe

For the non-techno’s amongst us could you kindly explain what exactly is ‘virtual memory’,what function it serves and with a scratch disk set up how does an increased vm improve performance?. I note from your advise to the OP that he should enter 4096 – is this a general rule – should one have the vm set at double the RAM capacity. Bye the way, have just checked my value and note that Windows has set a default of one and a half time my RAM value.
JZ
Joe_Zydeco
May 13, 2007
Alan, the word "virtual" means "almost real" (my own definition), and in the context of memory, it means using the disk drive as an extension to whatever amount of physical memory may be installed on the motherboard.

Note that the settings I mentioned in #4 relate to the virtual memory (paging file) used by the operating system (Windows).

Such VM allows Windows to "virtually" extend the amount of available RAM by spilling over into the paging file on the disk drive. If Windows lacked that capability, and your program needed more memory space, Windows would either have to tell you that not enough memory is available, or it would have to suspend another application, roll its allocated memory contents to a temporary file on the disk drive, and then give you that memory temporarily. When Windows again decided to turn control back to the other application (so it would not appear to be stalled), it would suspend your application, roll your allocated memory contents out to disk, reallocate the area to the other application, reload the first file back into that area, and finally, give control once again to the other application.

Because this can happen many times per second, all that thrashing slows things down tremendously because accessing data on a disk drive is hundreds of times slower than accessing physical memory. That’s why the existence of VM increases performance.

Regarding VM size, no number is sacred, but the general recommendation is to give Windows 1.5 to 2.0 times the amount of physical RAM for its virtual memory, or paging file. If the OP had 4GB or RAM instead of 2GB, I would have suggested following the general recommendation of using 1.5 times that, or 6GB, for the paging file.

You mixed the term "scratch disk" into your question. I assume you mean the VM that Photoshop uses, as defined in the Preferences window. (This VM is available only to Photoshop–it does not share it with Windows.) I understand that Photoshop does things differently, using the scratch areas first, resorting to RAM only when necessary. So, when it comes to scratch disk space, the more the merrier.
AI
alan_ingham
May 13, 2007
Joe

Many thanks for the WELL written and easy to understand explanation 🙂

deebs

thanks also, will have a read when time permits.
JZ
Joe_Zydeco
May 13, 2007
Happy to be of help, Alan. Maybe when solid state drives become available that are as fast as and as cheap as contemporary RAM, the overhead of swap files will go the way of the Osborne computer. For now, though, we have to live with them and try to understand them.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections