MG
Posted By
Michael_Gaudet
May 11, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have scanned in some family photos from of a book printed in 1978. The B&W photos were printed using the halftone method; resulting in a conversion of the now-lost original (B&W/grayscale) photos into halftone photos comprised of various sized dots.

The photos in question are those of a friend’s direct ancestors and were taken in the mid-1800’s.

I would like to "convert" the dots making the photos back into "regular" grayscale photos so that he may have ‘traditional’ photos of his ancestors.

Has anyone found a method to make such a conversion back from halftone?

Thanks,
Mike Gaudet —

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

JR
John_R_Nielsen
May 12, 2007
First, you should see if your scanner software has a "descreen" function.

If not, try the Median filter. I find it’s best to scale the image up a bit first, because the Median filter can only be set for integral pixel diameters. Scaling up first, and then scaling back down when done, effectively gives you fractional values.

The scanner software’s "descreen" function will give much better results, though.
L
LenHewitt
May 12, 2007
Also see the Form FAQ on Descreening

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections