RB
Posted By
Richard_Bourgerie
May 11, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m planning on cloning my present hard drive to a larger capacity hard drive. I have both Photoshop CS2 and CS3 installed. Can I expect problems with the activation of those programs on the new drive? Is it necessary (or prudent) to deactivate the Adobe programs before swapping out the old drive and then reactivate them when the new drive is installed?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

BL
Bob Levine
May 11, 2007
I would certainly do so. It would have taken you less than time than posting the question.

Bob
DP
Daryl_Pritchard
May 11, 2007
Richard,

If you do not perform the Transfer Activation process for PS CS2), then the installation of PS CS2 to another hard drive wil be seen as requiring a new activation. So, while that would work, it would also use up your 2nd allowable activation if you’ve not already used that elsewhere. Activation data for PS CS2 is written to a hidden area of the boot sector and is tied to the specific hard drive. The Transfer Activation process deletes that hidden information and updates the Adobe activation server with the change in status of your activation so that you can then activate again on the new hard drive. I suspect CS3 works the same way with the Deactivation process.

Regards,

Daryl

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections