JJ
Posted By
James_Johnson
May 11, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello, I’m having some trouble with my mouse controls when using Photoshop, and I hope that someone here can help me out.

I have searched as much as can, (Withought my tiny mind going bonkers.) and I haven’t come up with anything remotely similar to my problem.

I have provided all the information that the FAQ suggested I provide. (Though I don’t believe any of it is revelent to my problem except the version of Photoshop.)

My version of Adobe Photoshop I am running is: 7.0
I am using Windows XP Pro with service Pack 2
I have 1024MB’s of RAM installed.
I have 24.5GB’s of free disk space.
NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS

The precise symptoms of my problem are as follows:

This is not some bug or error, this problem is largely user malfunction.

Under normal circumstances, when using the paint bucket tool, I would be able to access both the "foreground" and "background" color selections with the left and right mouse buttons respectively. Meaning that if I used the paint bucket and pressed the left mouse button I would color the area with my selected "foreground" color, and if I pressed the right mouse button I would color the area with my "background" color selection.

I was working with one of my pictures, and I got distracted and accidentally pressed some key combination or somthing, and now instead of the paint bucket using my selected "background" color in an area, I instead get a "fill mode" drop down menu.

But this problem is not just affecting the paint bucket tool, as now ALL tools are giving me drop down menus or extra windows instead of performing the actions that I was previously able to use.

I have searched high and low, and I have NO idea what I pressed or clicked on. I have also tried the "Alt+Ctrl+Shift" trick at Photoshops startup, and that didn’t help, and I have also tried resetting "All Tools" in the tool preset manager. The only solution I can think of now would be to re-install.

Now the catch is, I can’t reinstall, because I have lost track of my installation CD. (And I don’t have the cash to buy CS2.)

How can I undo this error on my part and regain the control I previously had? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

(This is my first post in these forums, if I accidentally said or did somthing wrong, please let me know.)

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
May 11, 2007
What mouse and software?
JJ
James_Johnson
May 11, 2007
Thank you for your quick responce, I appreciate it. 🙂

The mouse I’m using is a Kensington Optical PilotMouse and there are no installed programs or drivers that the mouse requires.
JJ
James_Johnson
May 13, 2007
I apologize for double-posting, but I am still having trouble with this problem.

Please let me know if you need any more information.
JJ
James_Johnson
May 30, 2007
Please. . . it’s been more than half a month since I started this topic, and I still have not received any kind of response.

I have just completed a full uninstall of my copy of Photoshop 7.0 and have installed Photoshop CS3, but the problem remains and I still can’t use the right mouse button to work with the "background" color as I normally would have.

I understand that I can’t "demand" help, but my frustration with the current lack of aid should be understandable.

If you need any more information so that you can help me, I’ll be happy to give anything else that is needed so that we can get this problem solved.
WE
Wolf_Eilers
May 30, 2007
… and have installed Photoshop CS3, but the problem remains and I still can’t use the right mouse button to work with the "background" color as I normally would have.

It’s been a while since I’ve used PS7 but on my CS2 install right-clicking with the Paint Bucket tool gives me the blending mode context sensitive menu; it does not fill with the background colour.

Indeed, most tools have a context menu when you right click. I’m not sure you actually have a problem.
C
chrisjbirchall
May 30, 2007
Wolf is right. Right-clicking does and always has brought up the context menu.

The way to achieve your goal is to simply hit the "X" key to swop the background/foreground colours before left clicking with the paint bucket.
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
May 31, 2007
I think Corel Photopaint and perhaps some other programs have the right-click to fill with background behavior; Photoshop doesn’t, as far as I’ve seen.
JJ
James_Johnson
May 31, 2007
Thank you so much for responding, I can’t tell you how much I appreciate it after a half month of waiting. Thank you!

It’s funny you guys say that, because I did end up thinking about if maybe the mouse was doing the wrong thing in the first place and NOW its working right.

Even if Photoshop isn’t suspost to be doing that, it was doing that, I used the right mouse button to use my background color all the time. But then I pressed some unknown combination of keys and now I can’t use it like that any more.

But regardless of which way it was. . . I DO know that having the background color on the right mouse button was very convenient for me, and I’d like to do what I can to try and get it back.

If the menu is normal, then how can I change what the right mouse button activates so I can return it to the background color.

Thanks again. 🙂
DM
dave_milbut
Jun 1, 2007
the right mouse button doesn’t fill or paint with background in photoshop. never has. you’re thinking of some other program.

swap foreground and background colors by hitting "X" on the keyboard.
JJ
James_Johnson
Jun 1, 2007
I’m not joking or trying to mess with your heads, the right mouse button WAS activating the Background color when I used the Paint bucket and Paintbrush.

Maybe it was my mouse, maybe I found a hidden control or keyboard command, or maybe I just screwed up some essential file, but I’m not the type of guy who’s going to go buy a toaster and then call tech support only to find that I never plugged the thing in. I am by no means a Photoshop expert, but I’m not someone who’s only started using Photoshop yesterday either.

The only program I ever used before Photoshop 7.0 was Microsoft Paint, and I stopped using Paint entirely once I learned how Photoshop worked.

If you guys don’t want to believe me I guess thats fine, cause there isn’t anything I can do to prove it to you, all I can do is hope you take my word for it.

Is there any other place I can look that might have someone who would be able to assist me?
DH
Don_Hoye
Jun 2, 2007
hey cowboy
they have answered your question several times
you don’t need to cop an attitude, no body here is from Adobe, well kinda, we are all users and work with each other to figure stuff out don’t blame us for your machine not functioning like it should don
JJ
James_Johnson
Jun 2, 2007
I’m not trying to blame anyone for anything, none of you guys have done anything wrong, but I can see how my last post seems a little aggressive. I apologize for not proof-reading my post as my aim wasn’t to be aggressive, I was just trying to explain that it was Photoshop that I was using.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections