CR
Posted By
Chuck_Rigby
Aug 1, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
When working with a file of photos, the display in Photoshop Elements is listing the files by date. How can I change this permanently to list the files by name?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

BH
Beth_Haney
Aug 1, 2004
Check the settings for your OS; Elements is just displaying according to a preference you’ve set. Usually there’s a place to choose the way files are arranged, as in by date, name, file size, type, etc. If you give us a platform and OS, somebody will be able to be more specific.
CW
Colin_Woodbridge
Aug 3, 2004
Chuck….

Are you refering to the list of files when you use the file open window or when you’re using the Browser. Either way it’s possible to organise the order in which files are displayed.

Browser:-

If you open the Browser and make it full size, take a look at the bottom of the screen. Just left of centre bottom you’ll see a couple of buttons with right pointing arrows. The left one is the ‘Sort by’ option. If you click on this you can select the method in which the files are diplayed…file name, date etc…. and ascending or descending order.

File Open:-

This will display a typical windows file open box. If you look to the top right of this box you’ll see an Icon with a drop down arrow called ‘View Menu’. Click on this and select details. In the window below you’ll see the files organised under headings such as Name, type, size, modified. If you click on the ‘Name’ heading it will organise the files by name. In fact you’ll see an arrow appear pointing up meaning A-Z….another click on the header and it will organise Z-A. Similarly if you click on the ‘Modified’ header, files become organised by date, either up or down.

Hope this helps

Colin
TR
tomk_rlba
Aug 4, 2004
The settings in Explorer list my files by Details in pretty much any window I open. However, when I go into Photoshop, and go to Open a file, the listing is by List. Photoshop seems to remember how big I want the dialog box to appear but not how I want to list the files.

If anyone knows of a way to make my dialog box in Photoshop default to Details that would be great!

Thanks!

TomK
CW
Colin_Woodbridge
Aug 4, 2004
I’ve been looking for that for quite a while now but to no avail..:-)

Colin

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections