Posted By
John_Jumawan
Jan 17, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi,

I am not sure if my post is appropriate here. If not I’m asking the Forum Admin to transfer my post in the right forum topic.

I just want to ask other Adobe admins if it is possible to create an Adobe Update Server just like the Software Update of Apple. Where in we will install a server and configure this server to download and store all the adobe application update and serve it locally to our workstation (All macintosh).

We are mainly using (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Bridge, Acrobat and After Effects)

Is this possible?

please advice

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
Jan 17, 2009
That already exist open any Adobe Application in a Suite or a standalone and go the the help menu and select update and it will start the process, let you know if there are updates what they are and if you would like to download and install.
R
Ram
Jan 17, 2009
…except that the automatic Adobe updater has been broken in one way or another for many years. Adobe knows about it.
JJ
John_Jumawan
Jan 17, 2009
Wade:

Yes I know that, But there are times that the update like Photoshop or Illustrator is about 300MB in size or more and I don’t want to each in every workstation doing that simultaneously. What if you manage around 50 workstation like us. Would it be tediuos on doing all that the whole week.

Ramon:

Did you know if adobe had done anything about the broken adobe updater?

I am thinking of downloading manually all the updates from the adobe site which is really an annoyance and install it one by one to our workstation. But problem is all of the update I downloaded would not let me install it will just pop up an error saying "an error occurred during installation"

Are there any Adobe Admins out there who can help? How are you doing all the updates if you have 50 or more workstation that uses adobe apps?
R
Ram
Jan 17, 2009
John,

Did you know if adobe had done anything about the broken adobe updater?

They have allegedly tried, and allegedly fixed it. But it’s still broken. Updates sometimes fail, updates are not shown, etc. It cannot be relied upon.

I’ve downloaded all my updates manually for years, and I keep them in my Downloads archives. You could/should do the same, then the users could get the update from you.
WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
Jan 18, 2009
I works well in CS 4 so far, for the few updates they have posted.

I see what you are saying you are right I misunderstood. I have no idea if they will ever produce an updater that you can administer over your network, would I think be a big plus and great costumer relation effort.

And probably be look favorably by the ITs.

Good idea.

The feature request page maybe?

<http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform>
R
Ram
Jan 18, 2009
It doesn’t work for a large section of users. Just go to the Camera Raw forum and do a search on updater.

Adobe’s Principal Photoshop Program Manager, John Nack, has posted about it on his blog. He has referred to the Installers and the Updaters as "a huge embarrassment for all of us" and has had choice words in private correspondence as to what he would like to do to the "guys responsible" for them.

To deny it would be as absurd as claiming the Holocaust did not happen on the basis that there were some who escaped it.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections