Posted By
Kit_Rosenlund
Jan 17, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi,
I posted this question recently and thought I had an answer.

I have the Adobe Creative Suite installed on my Powermac DP 1.8 MHz
(2004). I have 1.5 GB RAM, and the system runs pretty well. I do have some 3rd party RAM added, and added a new graphics card recently.

I cannot get Photoshop to launch at all. It crashes during "loading suites", and the crash report mentions:

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGBUS)
Exception Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE at 0x0000000000000020 Crashed Thread: 0

Thread 0 Crashed:
0 libSystem.B.dylib 0x96d377d4 _none_wcsnrtombs + 60
1 libSystem.B.dylib 0x96c5c754 __swsetup + 212

……and the list is longer.

Anyway, I tried all the usual things, deleting preferences, checking the disk, booting 10.4 in safe mode. I even upgraded to 10.5, got a new graphics card and had the same results after an "archive and install".
The only other variable I can think of is the video card, unless the Photoshop install disk is bad. All the other applications from the suite seem to work OK, though not extensively tested.

My old video card was an nVidia 5200 ultra 64MB. I upgraded the card by buying a reconditioned, flashed PC card, the nVidia 6800 GT 256MB. The card seems to work great. It is listed as compatible for Windows PCs. Could there be some incompatibility with it??

Thanks for any advice. I’d hate to have to downgrade to CS3 for this. <<<<

Back to the new message… So i bought an nVidia 7800 GS that should be compatible, and the seller said it was tested with OpenGL and Photoshop CS4, but it STILL crashes with the same error message. Bad install disk? Anyone have an idea? Thanks.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

B
Buko
Jan 17, 2009
Bad RAM?
NK
Neil_Keller
Jan 17, 2009
Kit,

I upgraded the card by buying a reconditioned, flashed PC card, the nVidia 6800 GT 256MB. The card seems to work great. It is listed as compatible for Windows PCs.

Was the nVidia 6800 GT 256MB card flashed with Macintosh compatibility?

So i bought an nVidia 7800 GS that should be compatible

Is this a Mac-compatible version of the card? How much video RAM does it have? Is your exact card on Adobe’s list of compatible cards?

Neil
R
Ram
Jan 17, 2009
That card runs Photoshop CS4 very well on my older machine under Tiger.

Photoshop 11 ("CS4"), OS 10.4.11. Dual bootable, DP MDD 1.25GHz G4 (2004), maxed out at 2GB of RAM, both Spotlight and Dashboard disabled, Photoshop primary scratch disk on dedicated 160GB internal drive, at least 100GB available on each of the four internal drives, up to 300GB on some. Counting external FW drives just over 1TB of drive space available. nVidia GeForce 7800 GS 425MHz 256 MB graphics display card. Processor napping enabled through CHUD 3.5.2.
WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
Jan 17, 2009
Did you try logging in as a new user?

That will give us a clue.
KR
Kit_Rosenlund
Jan 22, 2009
Hi. Thanks for the responses. Both the 6800 GT and 7800 GS were flashed for Mac and work OK for Tiger and Leopard, as well as the rest of the suite programs, from what I can tell.
They have 256 MB VRAM each.

Photoshop CS4 was a new disk, so it should be good. I tried logging in as a new user, and re-setting PRAM on an earlier test. Also I tried Memtest, and the RAM seems OK.

I have tried removing Login items too. Is there any way to diagnose the problem from the crash report, or would I need to send my Mac in to a repair shop?

Thanks,
Kit
NK
Neil_Keller
Jan 22, 2009
Kit,

Both the 6800 GT and 7800 GS were flashed for Mac

And, thus, you’ve released a loose cannon. This is a hack. Maybe a good hack (some folks have reported good results with flashed cards).

Maybe not.

Do you have another video card you can test your system with?

Neil
KR
Kit_Rosenlund
Jan 23, 2009
Hi,

The guy I bought the GeForce 7800 GS card said it had been tested with photoshop CS4 in Leopard.

Breaking news… I tried re-installing Photoshop, Now there’s an error at the end of the installation. "Done with Errors" which leads to the Support Advisor which leads to…

"Error "Unable to read Adobe file version for path /Library/Fonts/MinionPro-Bold.otf" when installing the Adobe Creative Suite 4 or Point Products on Mac OSX"

Is my whole problem font-related? I tried unlocking the Minion font mentioned, re-installed. same thing. I moved all the Minions fonts to the desktop, still no good. Are all the fonts locked? The info window said that font was unlocked to System read/write, but locked to read-only for Admin. There’s no way to unlock all the fonts at once? Help!
-Kit
WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
Jan 23, 2009
I do not know why the fonts should be locked in any event as that would cause problems this is what I suggest.

Deactivate you creative suites applications uninstall them using the uninstall utility and to make sure they are uninstall run the clean up script. Then archive reinstall your system and then reinstall and reactive your creative suites application.

I am not certain what you have done or have not done but it sounds like everything is srewed up.
NK
Neil_Keller
Jan 23, 2009
Kit,

Random thoughts that come to mind at the moment:

Disk Utility — repair permissions
Disk Warrior repairs
Verify font integrity (corrupted or duplicate fonts)

Neil
B
Buko
Jan 23, 2009
Are, you using both cards at the same time?

It seems CS4 does not like 2 different cards.
KR
Kit_Rosenlund
Jan 23, 2009
Great News!

I finally got Photoshop CS4 to run! It was a font problem. The Support Advisor message was right. The permissions were wrong on some fonts in the /Library/Fonts folder. I manually unlocked, for Admin, the fonts in there I thought Adobe would use, uninstalled, ran the install cleaner, reinstalled and it works!!!

OpenGL is enabled with the flashed 7800 CS CO card. Some features may need 500 MB VRAM, but mine is 256.

Maybe the flashed 6800 GT will work too. I’ll try it before it goes up for Ebay sale soon.

Thanks everyone for your advice and suggestions!
R
Ram
Jan 23, 2009
Don’t even attempt to run two different cards on the same machine.
KR
Kit_Rosenlund
Jan 29, 2009
Thanks everyone for your help. Turns out my install process was flawed. There was a font problem. After I first installed just parts of the suite, the message at the end was "Installed with errors", and I thought that was because I left some programs out. When I did it this time, and got the same message, I used Install Advisor, and it correctly stated some needed fonts had the wrong permissions. I went in and manually changed the permissions of the fonts I thought Adobe would need in that folder to "Admin read & write".

It works great now, and I have OpenGL support in the flashed 6800 GT card, as well as in the flashed 7800 GS card I tried earlier.
KR
Kit_Rosenlund
Jan 30, 2009
Thanks everyone for your help. Turns out my install process was flawed. There was a font problem. After I first installed just parts of the suite, the message at the end was "Installed with errors", and I thought that was because I left some programs out. When I did it this time, and got the same message, I used Install Advisor, and it correctly stated some needed fonts had the wrong permissions. I went in and manually changed the permissions of the fonts I thought Adobe would need in that folder to "Admin read & write".

It works great now, and I have OpenGL support in the flashed 6800 GT card, as well as in the flashed 7800 GS card I tried earlier.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections