GC
Posted By
Glenn_Caccia
May 10, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
anyone else having trouble with this? maybe every 4th or 5th time i try to copy a selection, photoshop stops responding and i have to end task. basic step is to select a region of a photo using either the lasso tool or the rectangle selection tool and then going to the menu option edit->copy. if i encounter the application crash, i can end task, restart, open up the exact same image and make the same basic selection and have the copy command work.

very frustrating. didn’t have this problem with PS CS. got 1 gb of ram, over 80gb free space on drive that holds scratch space. amd athlon 64 cpu. xp sp2. typical work flow is to start in bridge, open up a raw file and end up in photoshop.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

DH
Dan_Heimsoth
May 15, 2007
I’ve had similar hangs when doing select->all, edit->copy to copy an entire image so I can layer it onto another. I have a similar system, AMD CPU, about the same drive free space, but 2Gb ram. I didn’t have this problem with CS or CS2. I’m not sure, but I got the impression that the problem was more frequent if I tried to initiate the next action before the copy could complete, such as clicking on the destination image to make it active before the copy of the source image had finished. Maybe the testers all had faster cpus than I do and could never hit this condition because the copy finished before they could try the next step. I’ve let windows send an error report from a couple of the hangs, so maybe that data will get to Adobe and they can figure out what’s wrong. Until then I guess I’ll just have to work slower.
GR
Glenn_R_Mitchell
May 16, 2007
You are not alone. And it is not a AMD problem. And the problem is not because you have an older machine. I have a Dell Precision 490 with dual CPU’s, dual core with lots of memory and disk space. I experience the same situation. I came here looking for an answer. Sorry, I cannot tell you how to fix the problem.
GR
Glenn_R_Mitchell
May 16, 2007
I think I may have found a solution. I went into the preferences and changed first the scratch disk as the default is (c:) then I have PS more memory up to 75%.

Try this and see if it helps. It did for me.
DM
dave_milbut
May 16, 2007
I just had a freeze copying a selection from one document to another. sucker just locked up on me. nothing special. done it a billion times across the last 5 or so versions.

2 gig ram. intel 975xbx. intel core2duo 6600. ps cs3 ee.

required end task and restart.
JJ
John Joslin
May 16, 2007
I had it too!

What gives?
DM
dave_milbut
May 16, 2007
gremlins…
GC
Glenn_Caccia
May 27, 2007
my scratch disk is pointed to a separate drive than the OS that has over 70gb free space, so i don’t think that’s my problem. however, i may have found the culprit. i went to do a copy today and ran into the same issue. i let it sit for 5 minutes and it was still hanging. i checked process activity under task manager and almost nothing was happening. it was then that i noticed my antivirus process popping up every few seconds. shut down my antivirus program and immediately the copy process in photoshop completed and i was able to continue working!

so, if you’re running antivirus, try shutting it down next time you run into a freeze after doing a copy. i’m using zone alarm.
DM
dave_milbut
May 27, 2007
zonelabs anitvirus? weird. i hope you file a bug report w/them!
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
May 27, 2007
Can you put your scratch drive and the Windows pagefile on an exclusion list in the antivirus program?
GC
Glenn_Caccia
May 30, 2007
not to go back on my last statement, but i may have jumped the gun with the antivirus thing. i went to edit-copy after making a small selection and ps hung immediately. never had it hang on the copy command before. i tried shutting down zone alarm and it didn’t make a difference. adobe bridge was also open. closed that and then i was able to continue. so, seems more likely that this is a memory issue and closing zone alarm last time just happened to free up enough memory that ps was happy. i have the exact same computer between ps cs and ps cs3 and the exact same workflow and images (size), so i believe at this point that cs3 is the problem. that is, that it is consuming more memory and not handling the available memory as well as it should.
A
akiley
May 30, 2007
On May 27, 4:32 pm, wrote:
Can you put your scratch drive and the Windows pagefile on an exclusion list in the antivirus program?

Another thread talked about intellimouse driver causing problems. I’ve had the "copy paste" problem with CS3 for a while. I just happened to buy a Logitech mouse and removed the Intellimouse driver and it fixed my problem. (so far)

I thought it might be related, but I also get a Pshop crash if I try the motion blur filter on too large a selection area. I just tried it. Total freeze up. …. akiley

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections