TL
Posted By
T_Lane
May 9, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
When making a rather large or complex selection using the polygonal lasso tool, my screen sometimes goes white (the photoshop program blanks out), and I cannot finish the selection. In order to get the photoshop screen back, I need to double click the tool, ending the selection process. This is problematic as I loose the complicated selection I had been working on. This happens on both my laptop and desktop computers, suggesting it might be a bug. I am running Windows XP Pro (32-bit) on laptop with 2-gig ram, and Windows XP x64 with 4-gig ram on the desktop.

Anyone else experience this "bug?"

Ted

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

TL
T_Lane
May 9, 2007
Sorry, I neglected to mention in my previous message that I am using Photoshop CS3 standard verion.

Ted

On Tue, 8 May 2007 21:44:22 -0700, wrote:

When making a rather large or complex selection using the polygonal lasso tool, my screen sometimes goes white (the photoshop program blanks out), and I cannot finish the selection. In order to get the photoshop screen back, I need to double click the tool, ending the selection process. This is problematic as I loose the complicated selection I had been working on. This happens on both my laptop and desktop computers, suggesting it might be a bug. I am running Windows XP Pro (32-bit) on laptop with 2-gig ram, and Windows XP x64 with 4-gig ram on the desktop.

Anyone else experience this "bug?"

Ted
EH
Ed_Hannigan
May 9, 2007
Don’t know the answer, but I would suggest that the Polygonal Lasso is not the right tool to use to make complex selections. The Pen would be easier and more appropriate.
DM
dave_milbut
May 9, 2007
and i would suggest you try turning down hardware acceleration in start> settings> control panel> display> settings> advanced> troubleshooting.

if that works and solves the problem, update your video drivers. (might not be a bad idea to update video AND mouse drivers anyway)
NH
Nora_Hodge
May 10, 2007
I’m also having issues with the polygonal lasso. I use it to remove the backgrounds from our oddly shaped bottles prior to using in advertising. After getting about halfway around the bottle, Photoshop closes my selection, even though I’m nowhere near my start point. I also noticed that about halfway though THAT selection, all the menus disappear from my workspace. Since each product takes me some time to cut out, this is very distracting and irritating.
DM
dave_milbut
May 10, 2007
see the post before yours nora.
TL
T_Lane
May 11, 2007
I reduced the video acceleration by one notch and the problem went away (at least for as long as I tested it). I then returned the setting back to full acceleration and, interesting enough, I have not yet been able to reproduce the problem since then.

Is there some reason that lowering and then returning the video acceleration back to full might "fix" a problem like this?

Ted

On Thu, 10 May 2007 11:12:29 -0700, wrote:

see the post before yours nora.
L
LenHewitt
May 11, 2007
Is there some reason that lowering and then returning the video
acceleration back to full might "fix" a problem like this?<<

None that I can think of.

As you turn down Hardware acceleration, you progressively transfer video functions from the video driver software to the o/s. This is why it is a good diagnostic tool for faulty video drivers.

But when you turn it back up, you are again using the driver rather than the o/s.
EH
Ed_Hannigan
May 11, 2007
Nora,

As I said to Ted, you would be better off using the Pen tool for your complex selections.
MF
marlene_frankel
Jun 26, 2007
The same thing happens with my CS3 Polygonal lasso. Screen goes white. I am using Windows xp home edition with 512 ram. Have you heard what the solution is?
Mfrankel
C
chrisjbirchall
Jun 27, 2007
I am using Windows xp home edition with 512 ram. Have you heard what the solution is?

Photoshop will work in 512MB of RAM – just. And only them if you’ve nothing else of consequence running at the same time. Try and work on a large file and have Bridge building a cache in the background and things will grind to a halt.

RAM is cheap these days. Treat yourself to a couple of GBs of good quality RAM and you’ll really see the difference.
QP
Q_Photo
Jun 27, 2007
When using the Lasso tool I have had the white screen appear many times. What works for me is to use the Ctrl key and the Plus (+) and Minus (-) keys to zoom the image in and/or out. This restores the image for me.

I recommend that if using the Lasso tool for complex selections that it be done in steps. Select smaller areas and then add to them until the selection is complete. This prevents running off the screen.

I AM NOT disagreeing that the Pen tool is better for complex selections. However, I do nearly all of my selections with the Lasso tool and have done so for a number of years. For me, the Lasso tool, combined with Erasure, feathering, adjustment layers and layer masks, is the most efficient way to work.

I never use the Magnetic Lasso as I can make a selection much faster and more accurate with the Polygonal Lasso. I think this is so due to many years of working this way. Practice makes (nearly) perfect. ???

Again, I’m not saying the Lasso tool is better than the Pen tool, it is not. However:
1. I have no need for paths.
2. I seem to have a mental block when it comes to the Pen tool. (Someday I will overcome this).
3. There are at least 3 ways to do anything in Photoshop.

Q
BD
Brett Dalton
Jul 1, 2007
As for the 512 RAM I’m using CS3 with that and had no problems at all(other than slow).

The zooming in and out is a good solution or using the hand tool vias the space bar. I found that it is occasionally a redraw problem and causing it to have to redraw the screen by moving or zooming can help.

As for selections I’ve found the fastest and safest method for me is to do a rough selection using the lasso (normal or poly versions) and then use the quick masks mode to clean it up. this allows for much finers controls and makes selection feathered areas like hair a breeze. There is also no danger that if I hit the wrong key I’ll loose everything and I get to take advantage of all the normal brush tools, gradient tools and selection tools to refine the selection area.

I’ll admit that I’ve been using PS since version 7 and only discovered how to use quick masks properly about 4 months ago. It’s the single best tool for doing complex selections I know.

BRETT
JJ
John_Joslin
Jul 1, 2007
It’s the single best tool for doing complex selections I know.

Have a look at < http://www.graphic-design.com/Photoshop/remove_backgrounds/d epth_field_finish.html>

Or browse in this thread < http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx/.1de5f905.3bb80e5d/7>
C
chrisjbirchall
Jul 1, 2007
That first link John gave you is well worth a visit. In fact the whole article, starting from < http://www.graphic-design.com/Photoshop/remove_backgrounds/i ndex.html> , contains some excellent techniques
JJ
John_Joslin
Jul 1, 2007
Whoops! Thanks Chris, I linked to the end instead of the beginning. (Now corrected.)
C
chrisjbirchall
Jul 1, 2007
Sorry John. I hope you didn’t think I was being facetious.

I hadn’t read the previous posts properly and actually thought you must have been referring to an isolated technique on the last page of her article.

I’m a fan of Katrin Eismann’s writings and often use her techniques myself.
JJ
John_Joslin
Jul 1, 2007
🙂
BD
Brett Dalton
Jul 1, 2007
Definatly a good resource. Thanks.

I think I’ll be still taking advantage of quick masks where there are hard edges but this technique works wonders with hair….time for some more practice me thinks.

BRETT
EH
Eric_H_Johnson
Aug 29, 2007
Polyonal lasso tool trouble -I’m having the same problem with the polygonal lasso tool, where the screen goes white midway through a selection. It can happen, even with simple selections, after only a few line segments have been added. Why does this happen? Is it a bug or am I doing something wrong in the way I’m using the tool. Has anyone got an answer from Adobe on this issue?
JJ
John_Joslin
Aug 29, 2007
Did you try any of the remedies/diagnostics/workarounds posted in this thread?
EH
Eric_H_Johnson
Aug 30, 2007
John
I’ve used the technique of ctrl + or -, and that works to bring back the picture. I don’t know anything about hardware acceleration so I didn’t try changing that. I don’t like to change settings on my computer unless I understand what’s going on………Eric
JJ
John_Joslin
Aug 30, 2007
Changing hardware acceleration is a diagnostic aid.

After the check you can put it back to how it was.
L
LenHewitt
Aug 31, 2007
Eric,

I don’t like to change settings on my computer unless I understand
what’s going on<<

As you turn down Hardware Acceleration, an increasing number of video functions are transferred from the Video card driver software to the O/S.

This will slow down operations as it is giving more work to the O/S and the CPU to do and less to the video card hardware, but it does allow you to confirm if the video driver is responsible for a particular problem. Alas, it can’t confirm that the video driver *is NOT* responsible for a particular problem.
EH
Eric_H_Johnson
Aug 31, 2007
Thanks for the information – I’ll give it a try.
JL
Jarret_LaMark
Oct 16, 2007
This happens to me as well. It also happens when holding the mouse button down for about 6 to 10 seconds if using an eraser or any other tool that you have to hold the mouse button down for a while. A polygonal lasso tool is like holding the mouse button down and when you click to make a move, screen locks right up. It also does it to me in Flash MX 2004 and has done it in other programs. So it’s a hardware issue. I’m going to try adjusting video settings. For the record, no matter what tool you are using, something like this should not happen. Doesn’t matter how or what you are using it for.

2.8 Pentium HyperThread
XP Home SP2
2GB RAM
NVidia 128mb GeForce FX 5200
C:\ 150GB Maxtor 7200rmp ATA
D:\ 150GB Maxtor 7200rmp ATA (PhShop scratch disk) (Windows page file) <— that could be the issue as well.

This machine should have no problems running this program.
JL
Jarret_LaMark
Oct 16, 2007
* Update to polygonal lasso tool causing screen to go blank. It may be a Scratch Disk issue. When I close Photoshop and re-open it, it doesn’t do it for quite a while. Try purging your history if possible before using the poly lasso.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections