TL
Posted By
tim_leinbaugh
Jul 29, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I need help with installing this 3rd party plug-in for Elements.

I have a MAC G3 with OSX 10.2.3

It won’t install. I suspect it might not be compatible with OSX, but i have no idea how to install Elements or the plug-in under the "Classic environment" (non-OSX)

Search "panorama tools" to find links to this plug-in.

Tim

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

JH
Jim_Hess
Jul 29, 2004
I know nothing about the Mac or the Panorama Tools. But have you considered using the Photomerge feature that is part of Photoshop Elements? It takes some patience, but I have had a number of successes using it.
PA
Patti Anderson
Jul 29, 2004
Did you check the Readme file that came with the download? I would look there first for help with installation.

Patti
RR
Raymond Robillard
Jul 29, 2004
Tim,

Rather than have us guess or search for the plug-in, why don’t you post a link here..? We’ll be able to have a look and help.

Ray
PA
Patti Anderson
Jul 30, 2004
These really are a great set of tools. I’ve got them installed in Elements and in CS.

Where to download and info:

<http://home.no.net/dmaurer/~dersch/Index.htm>

This is an article on dpreview.com about using them:

<http://tinyurl.com/2asyg>

Patti
SS
Susan_S.
Jul 30, 2004
The original Panotools doesn’t work in OSX and is very buggy in classic – "Photoshop Elements has unexpectedly quit" messages left right and centre when I last tried about a year ago (but that was using 10.1.5 – things may be better with Jaguar or Panther) – I found I needed to be able to run in OS9 to use panotools effectively. You don’t need to install Elements under OS9 – to run in OS9 just reboot in OS9 and away you go. To run elements in classic (in the event that you have a machine that can’t run OS9) you need to click on the Elements icon in the finder and then get info and tick on the check box that says start the application in classic (you are generally better starting classic first and then opening Elements)
However installing panotools OS9 version is fiddly and the documentation is rather scanty and it’s not easy to find the right information in it.
There is a shareware GUI for panotools that runs in OSX called PTMac and – unlike panotools- it is not free but when I tried the demo it was much easier to install. They also produce an OSX lens correction software for OSX called PTlens (which is all that I have used panotools for). Downloading the tryouts for these
(http://www.kekus.com/index.html) may be worth a go, although I decided I didn’t use panotools often enough to make it worth the price and I can run in OS9 for nothing.
SS
Susan_S.
Jul 30, 2004
Update: I just redownloaded the free version of panotools and put them into my computer. Installation wasn’t as painful as I remembered: drag the file pano12.lib onto the OS9 system folder and hit the OK button when it asks you if you want the items to be installed in the right place. Drag the panotools plug in into the Elements/plug-ins/ Filters folder. Start classic. Start Elements (making sure you have been and ticked the box in Info which tells it to start in classic). The plugins should now show up near the bottom of the drop down filters menu. I haven’t tried to see if they crash Elements this time, but I do have some jpegs with barrell distortion and chromatic aberration that I want to fix up so I thought I would reinstall.
Patti – have you ever used panotools for panoramas – and if so how easy was it? The Windows version has a free GUI which makes it rather easier iirc.
PA
Patti Anderson
Jul 30, 2004
I haven’t tried it with panoramas yet, in fact I haven’t taken but a few and Photomerge worked fine for them. I’ve only used it to correct barrel distortion (as on the dpreview page link I gave) and I played with that one tutorial on using Panotools to correct chromatic aberration.

Too many tools…so little time.
Patti

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections