JB
Posted By
Jim_B._Thomas
Jul 28, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have some photos saved on an Olympus C-5050 as TIFF files. Downloaded to the computer, they can be viewed in Windows Image Viewer, but in Photoshop Elements I get the message "Could not open ‘[file name].TIF’ because the TIFF file uses an unsupported color space." Other TIFF files in the same series open fine in Elements.

I am running Windows XP Pro. I am lost in color space and would be glad to convert the file format to something that would open in Elements–if only I knew how.

I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

Jim

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

NS
Nancy_S
Jul 28, 2004
Maybe downloading the freebie from the Adobe site "Ignore Exif" will solve this, just a stab in the dark.
SS
Susan_S.
Jul 29, 2004
An odd one. I’d try and see if a universal image viewer – something like irfanview (freeware – don’t know where from as I’m on the Mac and use Graphic Converter for this type of thing) can open the file and then resave, making sure it is 8 bit and a standard colour space. However if other files with the same settings from the same camera are opening properly it’s possible that either the file info or the file itself has become corrupted.
JB
Jim_B._Thomas
Jul 29, 2004
Thanks to you both. I had found the "Ignore Exif" and tried it hopefully, but the files still would not open.

I’ll search for irfanview.

Olympus at first directed me to a plug in of their’s but when that did not work, they said it was up to Adobe–naturally.

It is strange that almost all the files that do not open in Elements (or Photoshop 7) were taken with Macro. They open and look fine in Windows viewer, but there is no way to save them in another format.

Jim
JB
Jim_B._Thomas
Jul 29, 2004
The irfanviewer takes care of the problem. Thanks.
NS
Nancy_S
Jul 29, 2004
Good deal!!
PA
Patti Anderson
Jul 29, 2004
<http://www.irfanview.com>

I also have a C-5050Z — just got it this month. I also have a C-4000Z — which will soon be my daughter’s camera. I’ve taken a lot a macros in TIFF on both, but have not encountered this problem.

The write speed in TIFF mode is a little slow on this camera. Is there any chance that you might have turned the camera off too soon or changed settings while it was writing to the card? You need to be sure that the indicator lite is off before you take the next shot. If that’s the case and I have heard of this happening, I’m not sure there is anything you can do. I hope I am wrong. 🙁

I recently also got Photoshop CS, so I experimenting more the RAW format and am really liking it. I’m too impatient to wait for the TIFF!

Patti

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections