Computer Graphics – Recognized Art Medium?

SA
Posted By
Susan_Acree
Jul 27, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi,

I am pastellist and have entered a few local juried shows. I am fascinated by the computer graphics medium but have noticed that juried show rules around here forbid entries of computer generated art.

Is computer generated art becoming an acceptable art medium in other places or does it seem to be limited mainly to the commercial business?

Thank for you opinions!

Susan

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

JF
Jodi_Frye
Jul 27, 2004
"Is computer generated art becoming an acceptable art medium "

….I sure as hell hope so !

quoted from Silvia White;

Q: Is there an audience for Digital Art yet and how do I find it?

A: You can start by checking out a section of the NY Times On-Line (www.nytimes.com) that comes out each week called " It is true that the art world is still a little confused about how to deal with computer generated art. Galleries and collectors are not quite sure how to classify it, and artists are still playing around with ideas of how to present it. My predication is when we all get flat TV’s that hang on our walls like art; we’ll have created a new medium for all the stuff you digital artists are creating! Until then . . . we are stuck trying to slowly educate the masses. Keep working and good luck!

Silvia’s homepage;

<http://www.artadvice.com/advice/qanda.php>

PS No, i do not have any relationships with this individual.
SS
Susan_S.
Jul 27, 2004
I think that "amateur" art and photography shows are much more likely to ban digital art. In my experience such shows tend to be more interested in technical mastery of the medium, and one can sort of see their point – it’s pretty easy to turn a photograph into a passable pastel sketch using software such as painter or photoshop. Personally I wouldn’t count the sort of digitally manipulated photographs of this type that I do as fine art – they are too formulaic, using canned filters and actions and are designed to look pretty on a wall, or birthday card, with no real artistic input – anyone could do them if they followed the steps that I took and they don’t require too much in the way of skill. Mind you that could also be said of the sort of entries I see into amateur art shows – the winners tend to be technically competent but are often lacking in imagination and much in the way of artistic vision (if the Australian samples I have seen are anything to go by!) It’s the sort of watercolours/pencil sketches that I used to do – pretty postcard views but not much to make you think or look in things a new way. My brother on the other hand is rather less technically competent a draughtsman than I am, but when he actualy gets off his backside and produces something it will stop and make you think and look – his stuff is art, mine isn’t (in my view – but then art is a very personal thing)

If you go to a modern art gallery such as Tate Modern in London or Mass MoCA you will find all sorts of media are accepted as modern art – from digital video installations to photographs (some manipulated digitally, some pure film based) – to the infamous decomposing cows in formaldehyde!
GD
Grant_Dixon
Jul 28, 2004
Where prize money is concerned more and more high end photographic competitions are allowing digital with virtually no manipulation. If your image is selected to be as a finalist you must submit the original image in raw format so they can check to see what you have done. That being said there is a move in the "traditional" photography community to allow digital but only competing in digital divisions. I suspect the thinking is to create a number of level playing fields. While this may seem arbitrary for years they have made distinction among slides, colour prints and B&W prints.

I have noticed two things happening in the digital photographic competition world. First there seems to be a split of those that approach it as if it was an extension of film and those that go hog wild with manipulation. Secondly the judges don’t seem to know how to handle this new medium there is no consistency. I entered two images in a international juried compaction won a first and third, then entered the same images in a second competition and well if I wasn’t last I wasn’t far off it.

Grant
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jul 28, 2004
judges smudges !

I’ll let the pope look at my work. I think I’ll trust him to be fair.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections