Posted By
Les_Thurmond
Jul 27, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello-

All of a sudden I’m having trouble with the imaging of the tools assigned to the cursor. I’m trying to get it to change from a jagged almost round circle back to a completely smooth round circle. Also, I want that stupid window to stop popping up showing the choices after I click & choose another size. I’ve tried every conceivable combination when I go to Edit/Preferences/General/Displays & Cursors. These settings are the one’s that I had when I first installed Elements. I downloaded that update for XP from the Adobe site – Don’t know if that is the problem – But I think I still had the problem before. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

BH
Beth_Haney
Jul 27, 2004
First try deleting the Elements Preference folder, which should return everything to the default settings at time of initial installation. With Elements closed, click on the start up icon and then make a quick grab for the Control, Alt, and Shift keys. Hold all three down until you get a screen asking if you want to delete Settings. Say Yes. A new preference folder will build as Elements continues to launch. If this doesn’t correct the problem, repost and someone can give you another suggestion.

And I’m sorry, but I can’t place the "stupid window". Could you give a more specific example, please?
LT
Les_Thurmond
Jul 27, 2004
Beth,

Please just disregard that comment I made that you referred to. When I did the "Control/Alt/Delete" It fixed that. So, now – How do I get the circles to be smoother? When I change from "Threshold" to "Dissolve" in the "Effect Mode" I see that the circles have become smooth again, but then when I start to use it again, the edges of the circle go back to being slightly jagged again.
TF
Terri_Foster
Jul 27, 2004
I’m lost on what you are doing. Threshold adjustment for brushes? Disolve in Effect Mode? Assuming you are using a brush and you have chosen Dissolve mode in the options bar, it’s not going to make a smooth brush stroke. It just makes sprinkles…opacity won’t make them lighter or softer… just fewer sprinkles. Brush roundness and angle can be changed in the more options dialog. (Located about dead center of your option bar when brush tool is selected…you’ll see more options and an arrow. Click arrow and you can set brush roundness among other things. You don’t necessarily have to go up to the brush selection to pick each and every brush. A few short cuts can cure that. The [ and ] keys adjust brush size. Shift[ and Shift] keys used together adjust brush hardness. You can also cycle thru the brushes you have currently loaded via shortcut. Just use the , and . key with brush selected (my PSE2 is a little cranky so sometimes this shortcut doesn’t always work like it should.) This also works with the < and > keys. Add shift key to either, and . or add shift to the < and > keys to go to either the 1st or last brush in the list. You’ll still have to use the main menu to load a new brush set but you won’t have to do it everytime by using shortcuts.

Of course, I’m really only guessing this is what you are asking about. This is not by the way mean’t to be flaming you. I’m just a bit confused about what you are really asking.

Terri
LT
Les_Thurmond
Jul 27, 2004
Terri-

This must be my day of not making things clear. I’ll just blame on the insect that bit my ear last evening while I was cutting grass under a tree. Anyway, I’m sorry that I confused you. I will try your suggestions. I’ll print them out & refer to them. If not things like this usually work themselves out if one perseveres.
TF
Terri_Foster
Jul 27, 2004
Les,

I wasn’t upset with you…just confused at what you were doing. You do know that you can use any brush to clone stamp. By the way, the more options deal applies to brushes not clone stamp. See, I got lost on my own. The short cuts for brushes will still work with anything that uses a brush…clone, dodge, burn, sponge, etc. Are you trying to make the clone stamp brush hard? If so, the shift ] should do the trick, use Shift [ to make the brush soft again. You can also reset just the clone tool in the options bar. It’s the first icon in the lower option bar looking left to right. This might be the best option since your brush isn’t round anymore. It sounds like maybe you’ve swapped the brush without realizing it at some point. You may also want to look at your mode. I imagine dissolve mode would be pretty rough looking.

Terri
NS
Nancy_S
Jul 28, 2004
Les,

Also, if you are viewing the image at a high magnification on your desktop, the edges will not appear quite as smooth. Whether one has Anti-alias on or off makes a difference too (an option for selection tools) and what color the layer was under the edges of the circle in some instances.
LT
Les_Thurmond
Jul 28, 2004
Terri-

You are so very kind. I thank you for all of your efforts here, and they won’t be in vain. It’s strange – I had been sailing along with this for quite a while without any problem. Anyway, I just wanted to tell you this now. I’m still in the process, and I’ll tell you about it when I completely work it out. So, until then…..

Les
LT
Les_Thurmond
Jul 29, 2004
Beth, Nancy, & Terri

I have finally pieced together your very helpful posts – And used all of them. Also, I’m glad to say that I’m back to where I was before – As far as the shaping of the clone stamp brush tool is concerned. You were there again for me, & I appreciate it so much!

Les
NS
Nancy_S
Jul 29, 2004
Les,

Glad things are working smoothly now for you, computer issues can be sooo frustrating!!

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections