E
Posted By
Elena
May 7, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Whenever I run Photoshop CS2 it freezes on startup. It loads all the plugins etc but once it’s done that and it comes to me opening a file the whole thing freezes for about 30 secs.

Can anyone suggest a reason for this? And even better a solution? =)

Elena xx

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

DM
dave_milbut
May 7, 2007
do you have a network printer as default on your system? if so try changing to a local one.
BP
Bartek_Podkowa
May 7, 2007
I do observe the same with just installed PS CS3 on Vista 32. When I have my other PC on (being in the same network) any attempt to open any file in PS freezes my PS for about 30 sec. Once I shut down the other machine freezes are gone. Indeed the other machine has a printer connected that is a default net printer for my system as well. I try to change the printer and see what happens, however I do connect the issue with some networking issue.

Any thoughts why is that happening?
DM
dave_milbut
May 7, 2007
Any thoughts why is that happening?

ask again when you’ve got the local printer set as default instead of the network one. does that fix it?
E
Elena
May 7, 2007
Nope my printer is a local one. And this pc is not on any networks.
DM
dave_milbut
May 7, 2007
reset the preferences per the faq.

it SOUNDS like it’s looking for a network resource. (often that means a network printer is the default). another thing is, have you ever opened files from the network, or from a removable drive? if so it could be looking for those files to populate ther "recent file" list. resetting the prefrences should clear that.
BP
Bartek_Podkowa
May 7, 2007
yes it works! changing the default printer changed the behaviour and now regardles of network files open as expected
thanks
DM
dave_milbut
May 8, 2007
nice. that’s an old fix going back to at least vers. 7. glad it worked for you!
C
Clyde
May 20, 2007
wrote:
Nope my printer is a local one. And this pc is not on any networks.

I’ve had the same problem since half way through my use of CS2. I’ve tried until I’m blue in the face to get a fix, but no luck. The problem was still there in CS3 Beta and now in CS3.

Adobe support people say the only thing happening 30 seconds after opening is verifying fonts. They say I have a bad font or something. Well, I killed all my fonts down to the very basic ones Windows requires with no luck. I’ve changed font managers to one that checks to make sure the fonts are good. Still no luck.

I doubt this has anything to do with network printers on my computer as I don’t have any either. I have also completely changed printers during the life of this problem. Besides Adobe doesn’t think Photoshop is doing anything with printers 30 seconds after opening.

Luckily I have found a workaround that might work for you: After opening Photoshop with a file and before you get to that 30 second mark, zoom in. This always stops whatever is causing it to crash and Photoshop runs just fine from then on.

I suppose other tools used would work too, but Zoom works well for me. Of course, you always have to open Photoshop with a file, but that no problem for me. You can’t mess around in ACR either, as you don’t have time.

Good luck,
Clyde
JB
Joy_Bamford
Jun 28, 2007
I have the same "freezing after startup" problem since installing Vista. I have set the printer to default and have reset my preferences, but the problem persists. I read in Adobe support that it could be a problem with the language setting for the keyboard, and to set it to UK English, but this didn’t fix it either.
I have also tried re-installing Photoshop CS2.
Any other ideas would be appreciated.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections