Posted By
Nora_Cronin
Jul 25, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi,
I am not sure if I did not change some setting in Elements or my printer but after enhancing a photo (or any photo that I have printed with no problem in the past), I go to print preview and the preview is very dark and the print is as well. I am using an Epson Stylus Photo RX500. I have not had this problem before but I have had weird things happen when using Elements. When I switch to Photoshop 5.5 and do a print preview, the preview and the print are just fine. Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated as I have spent way too much time trying to figure this out. I have uninstalled and reinstalled Elements. Thanks

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

SR
SHIRLEY_ROSE_TAYLOR
Aug 25, 2004
DID YOU GET A REPLY TO YOUR PROBLEM RE PRINT PREVIEW? WHEN I GO TO PRINT PREVIEW IT IS BLURRED. ANY SOLUTIONS?
J
JesusIsGod
Aug 27, 2004
Nona,

You might want to call Adobe and Epson Support on this one. No guarantee of results, but it’s worth a try and sometimes they’re pretty helpful.

Shirley,

Do your prints come out blurry, too? if so then are you printing at a low-resolution like 72dpi? Also, sometimes print preview can look blurred or have white spots, etc. but the print can look just fine. That’s an artifact of the software/monitor interactions.

The more important question is, do your print preview colors match your printed colors? if yes, then at least that much works.

Robert Ash
BB
brent_bertram
Aug 27, 2004
For the record, Print Preview colors are NOT color managed. It’s unlikely that the image in Print Preview will look like the screen or the printed output in a color managed workflow. The Print Preview image is pretty much useless except to show placement on the page.

🙂

Brent
J
JesusIsGod
Aug 27, 2004
That is the opposite of my experience.

For both my Epson and my HP printers the printers’ print preview colors match the printed output extremely well. In fact, it’s usually perfect.

In my environment, at least, the printers’ print previews are so good that nowadays if the print preview doesn’t look right or color balanced then I cancel the picture and print it over. Every now and then I’ll print one that looks off-color, too light, etc. in print preview just to see if it actually prints off-color, too light, etc. and so far it always does. And if it’s on-color in the print previews it prints on-color, too. For me that’s been a tremendous help in the difficult area of color management.

The real problem for me has been getting the print previews to consistently match the colors in Photoshop Elements or in Dimage Viewer. Must depend on the environment.

Robert
BB
brent_bertram
Aug 27, 2004
An interesting link on color management,
Tim Lookingbill "Mismatched embedded color profiles" 8/27/04 8:16am </cgi-bin/webx?13/43> .

🙂
J
JesusIsGod
Aug 27, 2004
Hmmm. From the current context it appears that you are not being honest with your intent regarding that link, Brent. Worse, this is not the first time you have done this to people. It is a bad personal trait in you and you should stop it.

If you are going to do things like point people to an unrelated OT discussion involving another person you should at least respect other people enough to point them to the beginning of that discussion so they get the whole context (assuming they’re even interested, and there’s no reason they should be).

In fact, I’d personally invite that, certainly in this case. But unfortunately, once again it is not your intent to do anything positive, constructive or even personally decent here. Suit yourself, but that’s too bad. You should change.

Back to the topic at hand, print previews are managed very well in my working environment and as far as I’ve experienced, their output is trustworthy and reliable. Obviously that differs from your experience but it does prove that in the right environment they can be very reliable guides as to what colors will actually be printed and invaluable aids in getting the same colors printed that are displayed on your monitor.

Robert
NS
Nancy_S
Aug 27, 2004

Damage Control, Damage Control

Jesus, put the hatchet away and let’s call this thread ended.
J
JesusIsGod
Aug 27, 2004
Nancy,

There is no hatchet here. And if you’re going to make admonitions like that, please make them to *all* parties involved, not just to a party who is responding to the unnecessary actions of another.

Thanks,
Robert
ME
mike_e_monroe
Aug 27, 2004
Nice place, here !
J
JesusIsGod
Aug 27, 2004
Agreed. Actually, it usually is pretty nice here, be not discouraged 🙂

Cheers,
Robert
NS
Nancy_S
Aug 28, 2004
Ramon,

Thank you for posting your last explanation on Print Preview. I think it was important to get the information out here in light of conflicting posts lately. I’m certain 99.9% of Photoshop users believe the Print Preview is not intended for color accuracy, only image placement.

Nancy
R
Ram
Aug 28, 2004
Understood, Wendy. I do not plan on posting here in the foreseeable future, as my Photoshop Elements experience is very limited since I have always used the full version of Photoshop since version 5. I came here to tie a couple of loose ends due to some cross posting (pun not intended). I’ve said what I had to say. Thank you.
R
Ram
Aug 28, 2004
Nancy,

I’m certain 99.9% of Photoshop users believe the Print Preview is not intended for color accuracy, only image placement.

Well, that’s what the Photoshop programmers believe too. They should know. 🙂
J
JesusIsGod
Aug 29, 2004
James,

Who in the heck do you think you are to be judging and condemning Brent’s personal traits.

It is ironic that while you’re asserting about me, that is exactly what you yourself are doing towards me in your note. That is something you should think about. Moreover, you are incorrect in your other assertions as well.

The fact that Brent has helped some people elsewhere is irrelevant here. What Brent did earlier was unnecessary, deliberately hostile and uncalled for. For whatever reason, it is also not the first time he has made an unprovoked and ill-intentioned posting directed specifically at me. You should address that first or stay out of this. Same for Nancy. The other postings here speak for themselves.

I have helped people here too, and contrary to your assertion I’m quite open about how much I learn here. You choose to ignore that. I will not be held to such a standard, and neither should other participants.

Wendy is the only person here who has addressed this situation in a way that is balanced and fair to everyone. That is much appreciated, is effective at resolving issues reasonably, and is right spirit and manner to participate in these situations. Many thanks to her for that.

Thanks,
Robert

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections