Photoshop CS3 Filter / Transparent Layer Problem?

J
Posted By
JamesS
May 5, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hey,

I’ve been using Photoshop since v6 and never had a problem with this before, but in CS3, when trying to apply a filter to something on a layer with a transparent background nothing happens (it doesn’t "spill") over onto the transparent bit…

<http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/3435/transparenteu7.gif> – In this image I created the extra transparent layer, added some lines and applied the "glass" filter, as you can see nothing happened to the lines when applying the filter to that layer.

If however you fill the layer and re-apply the filter it works as expected – < http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/8601/nontransparentvy7.gi f>

This ONLY happens in CS3, is this an option that you can disable to make it behave like CS2, or is it a bug? It’s incredibly annoying. I use this for texturing so I need this feature.

If you follow the EXACT same steps as the top image in CS2, it works as fine…

<http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/3091/cs2gy5.jpg>

I’m using XP Pro SP2, and Photoshop CS3 Extended (upgrade edition from CS2), if that matters.

Any help will be greatly appreciated as I love the new versions layout so I’m reluctant to downgrade back to CS2. (that and the fact that I just shelled out for an upgrade to this one)

Thanks!

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

EH
Ed_Hannigan
May 5, 2007
Only a guess, but are your Background and Foreground colors the same by any chance? Distortion setting the same?

Other than that, all I can say is Trash Preferences. If that doesn’t work, maybe it’s a bug.
J
JamesS
May 5, 2007
I’ve tried with a variation of Background/Foreground colors, lots of different settings (same as CS2 and many different ones).

Reset all settings (CTRL + ALT + SHIFT when opening -> trash) but still the same. I really hope there’s a way to revert it to how CS2 works, I use this hundreds of times a day while texturing.

Thanks for the suggestion though.
MV
Mathias_Vejerslev
May 5, 2007
James,

The behaviour has indeed changed since CS2. But even in CS2, the filter does not spill into transparent areas, as you can see comparing a flattened version to your CS2 version.
J
JamesS
May 5, 2007
Yeah I noticed it didn’t spill over in CS2 while messing around (after posting this). It does however do/"end up looking" exactly how I want, whereas CS3 doesn’t.

Is there no way to get CS3 to behave like CS2 with filters?

(Thanks for the reply)
EH
Ed_Hannigan
May 5, 2007
I don’t have CS 3, so I don’t know if this will work, but have you tried making a selection of the lines only and running the filter on that?
J
JamesS
May 5, 2007
Yeah I tried that and the same thing happens unfortunately.

Thanks for the reply though!
JD
Josh_Drake
May 11, 2007
I’ve discovered an issue with either photoshop or with indesign, (CS3) when i try to make a picture frame in indesign and the picture is cut out and has a transparent background and the background of the picture box is transparent, the file will print with a slight shading where the picture frame is… the only way i’ve discovered that alleviates this is to extend the pic box in indesign to the margins… you can still see a slight shade difference when printing, but its not as noticable…

When I export this into acrobat and reduce the file size by making the file backwards compatible to acrobat 4 you can see the bounding boxes on every single object from the indesign doc… I understand this may not be photoshop related, however it’s got me stuck… any help?
EH
Ed_Hannigan
May 11, 2007
Josh,

Rather than tack a completely different question on to an existing thread, you should start your own thread, and probably do it in the appropriate forum.

Better chance of getting a good answer that way.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections