KR
Posted By
Kit_Rosenlund
Jan 9, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have the Adobe Creative Suite installed on my Powermac DP 1.8 MHz (2004). I have 1.5 GB RAM, and the system runs pretty well. I do have some 3rd party RAM added, and added a new graphics card recently.

I cannot get Photoshop to launch at all. It crashes during "loading suites", and the crash report mentions:

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGBUS)
Exception Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE at 0x0000000000000020 Crashed Thread: 0

Thread 0 Crashed:
0 libSystem.B.dylib 0x96d377d4 _none_wcsnrtombs + 60
1 libSystem.B.dylib 0x96c5c754 __swsetup + 212

……and the list is longer.

Anyway, I tried all the usual things, deleting preferences, checking the disk, booting 10.4 in safe mode. I even upgraded to 10.5, got a new graphics card and had the same results after an "archive and install".

The only other variable I can think of is the video card, unless the Photoshop install disk is bad. All the other applications from the suite seem to work OK, though not extensively tested.

My old video card was an nVidia 5200 ultra 64MB. I upgraded the card by buying a reconditioned, flashed PC card, the nVidia 6800 GT 256MB. The card seems to work great. It is listed as compatible for Windows PCs. Could there be some incompatibility with it??

Thanks for any advice. I’d hate to have to downgrade to CS3 for this.

-Kit

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

B
Buko
Jan 9, 2009
I think it might be the card.

The people here are using 7800GT
NK
Neil_Keller
Jan 10, 2009
I upgraded the card by buying a reconditioned, flashed PC card, the nVidia 6800 GT 256MB. The card seems to work great. It is listed as compatible for Windows PCs.

Depends on if it was flashed correctly. But as this is a non-supported workaround, it could be problematic finding out. Check with the vendor of the card.

Neil
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jan 10, 2009
Was it guaranteed to be "Flashed for Mac"?

However, I don’t think that the 6800 is on the approved list for Open GL on PC Macs anyway. < http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=kb 405711&sliceId=2>

As Buko has already mentioned, the nVidea 7800 GT is the card that has been found to allow CS4’s Open GL to work on G5s.
KR
Kit_Rosenlund
Jan 10, 2009
Thanks for the advice everyone. The nVidia GeForce 6800 256MB is listed as compatible for PCs on the Adobe website (that’s why I thought the flashed one would work), and the flashed card does work for the rest of my OS and the Adobe suite.

It seems a shame my only option with my PowerPC AGP G5 is to buy the $250-$300 Mac nVidia 7800 card just to run Photoshop.

Are there no other cards that would work for Photoshop CS4? Could I get it to boot up without using every feature?

Thanks,
Kit
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jan 10, 2009
I know from experience that the 256MB ATI Radeon 9600 Pro for Mac works with CS4 in OSX 10.4.11 but you will not be able to use the Open GL features in Photoshop CS4.
NK
Neil_Keller
Jan 10, 2009
I know from experience that the 256MB ATI Radeon 9600 Pro for Mac works with CS4 in OSX 10.4.11 but you will not be able to use the Open GL features in Photoshop CS4.

My experience with the 9600 Pro matches Ann’s.

Neil
KR
Kit_Rosenlund
Jan 29, 2009
Thanks everyone for your help. Turns out my install process was flawed. There was a font problem. After I first installed just parts of the suite, the message at the end was "Installed with errors", and I thought that was because I left some programs out. When I did it this time, and got the same message, I used Install Advisor, and it correctly stated some needed fonts had the wrong permissions. I went in and manually changed the permissions of the fonts I thought Adobe would need in that folder to "Admin read & write".

It works great now, and I have OpenGL support in the flashed 6800 GT card, as well as in the flashed 7800 GS card I tried earlier.
KR
Kit_Rosenlund
Jan 30, 2009
Thanks for everyone’s help, I figured it out,

Turns out my install process was flawed. There was a font problem. After I first installed just parts of the suite, the message
at the end was "Installed with errors", and I thought that was because I left some programs out. When I did it this time, and got the same message, I used Install Advisor, and it correctly stated some needed fonts had the wrong permissions. I went in and manually changed the permissions of the fonts I thought Adobe would need in that folder to "Admin read & write".

It works great now, and I have OpenGL support in the flashed 6800 GT card, as well as in the flashed 7800 GS card I tried earlier.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections