JM
Posted By
Jim_Magers
Jul 20, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am scanning in jpeg images (photo slides) at 1200 dpi. When I go to clean the image up in Photoshop Elements, the original file is 1200 dpi. When I save the file out of Elements, it transforms it to 72dpi, regardless of the image quality I specify. I’m sure I’m missing something simple, but can’t find any documentation or options that keep the image size larger than 72dpi. The images are to be printed and need to be at least 355 dpi to achieve sufficient high quality for print.

Help!!!

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Jul 20, 2004
Jim,

Which method are you using to save your images?

Wendy
JM
Jim_Magers
Jul 20, 2004
I think I found my problem. If I resize the image, I can set the dpi to whatever I want to set it to. It seems to be defaulting to 72 dpi.
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Jul 20, 2004
Jim,

Glad you have managed to sort it out …

Wendy
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Jul 20, 2004
Jim, PS/PE always default to 72 ppi, although some camera/scanner files contain data that will override that–my canon camera files always come in at 180 ppi.

You don’t need to actually resize anything to change the ppi, just go to image>resize>image size and change the number in the ppi box. Be sure that "resample image’ is UNchecked when you do this.
JM
Jim_Magers
Jul 20, 2004
Very helpful information. Thanks!

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections