Cloning Tool Preview: Can it be turned off?

A
Posted By
AlexPS
Jan 5, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
It’s a cool feature, but now with the preview, I cannot precisely see the part I’m trying to fix—it’s covered by the preview. I’m wondering if there is a way to turn off this "feature".

Thanks.

-Alex.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
Jan 5, 2009
The point of the preview is so that you see not what you re covering but what you are replacing! But it can be turned off in the preferences. And if you lower the opacity of the clone tool the preview will allow you to see through as well.

Not really certain there is a logic to seeing what is under what you are going to clone in that area as it will be gone and you can simply move the brush out of the way to see what is there?
A
AlexPS
Jan 5, 2009
Wade, thanks for the reply. I have looked and looked, and cannot find where you can turn it off in the preferences. Can you be more specific as where it is in the preferences?

As for the reason, I need to be constantly aware of what I am covering when cloning, and with the preview, I have to move the cursor away and make a judgement whether those pixels are supposed to be replaced or not. And when you do a lot of cloning/touch-ups, it can become a hassle. For rough example, when cloning an area of skin surface, and the cloning tool preview is covering a birthmark, I may not realize that it’s supposed to stay there and clone away the birthmark, which can be a bad thing.

Thanks,
-Alex.
SW
Scott_Weichert
Jan 5, 2009
In the Clone Source Panel, uncheck Show Overlay.
A
AlexPS
Jan 5, 2009
Got it. Thanks guys!

-Alex.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections