AL
Posted By
andrew_lifsey
Jan 5, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
When I adjust (using legacy option) the sliders, then hit okay, the adjustments don’t apply, and the image reverts to it’s original state as if I hadn’t adjusted the contrast or brightness at all. It did this in both CS3 & CS2. Has anyone else had this problem before?

My workaround was to make a B/C adjustment layer and then merge visible to a new layer, but it did the exact same thing. The new merged layer didn’t have the B/C applied to it. This is very strange.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

B
Buko
Jan 5, 2009
Learn to use curves
AL
andrew_lifsey
Jan 5, 2009
Thanks for the snide reply Buko, but curves did the same as well. Does anyone else have anything constructive to add. It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

-Andrew
P
pfigen
Jan 5, 2009
Try viewing your file at 100%. Often, the more subtle adjustments, no matter what they are, are not visible unless you view at 100%.
JM
J_Maloney
Jan 5, 2009
I think Buko was [snidely] referring to the inherent problems with older versions of B/C. See here for a synopsis < http://www.earthboundlight.com/phototips/photoshop-brightnes s-contrast.html>. It does appear that the adjustment has been "fixed" in CS3 < http://www.earthboundlight.com/phototips/brightness-contrast -photoshop-cs3.html>. His advice, however, shouldn’t be ignored.

If this a high-contrast black and white image, or one that originated as line art, you’ll need to view at 100% while adjusting, as smaller zooms won’t give you accurate previews. But the fact that you were able to "workaround" it is perplexing. Maybe post some screenshots/samples to pixentral.com?
B
Buko
Jan 5, 2009
For all you thin skinned overly sensitive types.

Screw off! I was not being snide.
WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
Jan 6, 2009
Buko like anyone can be snide but he gave you some very constructive advice. I think you should apologize for misunderstanding his advice as being something it was not.

Curves are very powerful adjustments and a lot can be overcome by using them. I also suggest learning to use ACR or Lightroom or Aperture. It will give you a more complete work flow for working with your images.
R
Ram
Jan 6, 2009
There was nothing wrong with Buko’s post.

Even if one misconstrues a helpful, concise post as "snide", that does not detract from its value.
P
pfigen
Jan 6, 2009
Sorry, but Buko’s original post here did nothing to address the problem of the original poster. While Curves are in fact better, this had nothing to do with the problem at hand, and Buko’s post didn’t bother to make that point.

If someone is telling you that they’re using B/C, it probably goes that they’re also not the most sophisticated user and simply telling them to use Curves without telling them why is only going to confuse them, and may indeed, as was the case here, be offputting.

It doesn’t matter what you may think your intention was, it was perceived as offputting. Telling posters how thin skinned they are really encourages users to visit this site, now doesn’t it.

And you wonder why people say that this is their least favorite Ps forum to visit. This is another great example.
WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
Jan 6, 2009
He did not tell him to use curves he wrote he should learn them that in itself implies this would be a better way and unfortunately it is like anything else you learn it takes time.

If the original poster wanted only instant answers he has to hire a consultant who can give hi instant answers, this is a user to user forum and if some one has good advice to offer that advice is for the OP plus all the other people that will read the thread. If only one person who reads the thread takes the advice and investigates then the thread is successful regardless of what anyone else may think.

Also keep in in mind that if the OP doesn’t like the answer that is a problem the OP has as the advice is sound and does address the issue even if it was not appreciated. That is why we do not respond to e-mail requests as the device is something to be shared with many users not just the OP.

It is a very good answer to the question.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jan 6, 2009
I see it differently:

Buko took the time to post a suggestion to help the OP — who obviously didn’t understand what he was told!

Instead of thanking Buko for responding; and then asking politely for further clarification; the OP then posted a rude and aggressive comment about being "snide".

The OP then got the sort of response that his ungrateful rudeness richly deserved!
NK
Neil_Keller
Jan 6, 2009
Andrew and all,

As viewed from my side of the monitor, Buko’s post is perfunctory. But being perfunctory does not equate with snide (regardless of whether his response properly addresses the posted issue or not.

So can we move on, please?

Thanks, guys.

Neil
Forum Host
NK
Neil_Keller
Jan 6, 2009
Andrew and all,

As viewed from my side of the monitor, Buko’s post is perfunctory. But being perfunctory does not equate with being snide (regardless of whether his response properly addresses the posted issue or not.)

So can we move on, please?

Thanks, guys.

Neil
Forum Host
WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
Jan 6, 2009
We should move on but calling someone rude because they misunderstood something and made a poor judgement is uncalled for.

Moving on I think that the advice to use curve instead of B?C would offer better control

As to why the adjustment layer you used did not have an effect as expected there may have been a small selection active when you invoked the layers adjustment everything seem to work but it is is only being applied to what might be a very small selection. Perhaps one you are accidentally creating. Check to see if you have a selection tool active and watch how you are moving the cursor.

I hold the stylus in a funny way and sometimes make a selection and swear i am not touching the tablet with the stylus but on more careful observation or by just hitting escape or command D and then making the adjustment all is well.

This might not be your problem but it is the only one I can think of at the moment.

if this is the problem keep in mind this is not really a photoshop problem or solution and an unlikely scenario, even though it is a possible one.

No one here would be expected to know this and of course it can be quite off base.
R
Ram
Jan 6, 2009
It would be helpful if the OP would clarify what he sees in the History palette (now panel) when he applies the adjustment.

What Wade suggests could very well apply, and there may be other answers.
P
pfigen
Jan 6, 2009
The OP clearly implies that he is seeing the effect of his adjustment on screen, only that it seems to disappear as soon as he hits the OK button. That does not suggest an active selection or at least not one too small to see. It does suggest what has been mentioned in this thread and in similar ones for years – that subtle moves are sometimes not seen unless viewed at 100%.

One suggestion to the OP might be to try his same adjustment again, but make it as severe as possible, hit the OK button and then see if it shows. That would at tell him if that tool is in fact working as expected.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jan 6, 2009
calling someone rude because they misunderstood something and made a poor judgement is uncalled for.

It was a perfectly fair comment!

The actual wording of the OP’s response is what was "rude" and the tenor of that response caused the whole furore here.

His "poor judgement" was to respond in a rude and ungrateful way to someone who had tried to help him.
R
Ram
Jan 6, 2009
Incidentally, if you’re working very fast and move the Legacy slider before checking the Legacy box then hit Enter, the adjustment will not be applied because checking the Legacy box moves the slider back to zero.
WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
Jan 6, 2009
What Ramón wrote could be the answer as well. I do think this is user error but what is causing it might be hard to find as I suspect the problem has gone away because the user is no longer making the error.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections