K
Posted By
kpwft
May 2, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have Photoshop CS. I made a rectangular selection and expanded it by 100. I expected to get an identically-shaped rectangular selection that was 100 pixels larger, but the corners were clipped. I tried other values, such as 75 and 25, with the same results. What’s up with that? There’s no feathering selected; I also deleted my prefs in order to start from scratch.

Thanks.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

DR
Donald_Reese
May 2, 2007
I cant offer you any help on it, but it does act the same on my machine. maybe you could use the polygon lasso to add to the selection on the corners, but there must be a better answer why it acts that way.
JZ
Joe_Zydeco
May 2, 2007
I don’t know, too. But I found a workaround. After dragging the selection, right-click inside it and click Transform Selection. Shift-drag a corner handle or enter the desired numbers in the Options Bar.
K
kpwft
May 2, 2007
Thanks to you both. I guess all I can do is try the workaround, but obviously, I’m sure we would all like the feature to work as it’s supposed to. It never used to behave this way – very strange.

Thanks again.
K
kpwft
May 2, 2007
Not only that, when trying to expand a rounded selection, it doesn’t expand perfectly round – it shows a shape distortion similar to an octagon.
K
kpwft
May 2, 2007
Maybe I’m confused and expand never gave square corners. Are diagonal corners the norm when expanding a square or rectangular selection?

Thanks –
P
Phosphor
May 2, 2007
These distortions have been a part of the way Photoshop has dealt with expanding selections for as long as anyone can remember.
JJ
John Joslin
May 2, 2007
If this behaviour bothers you and you need precision, make a path and, when you have what you need, convert it to a selection.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections