GD
Posted By
Grant_Dixon
Jul 15, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
The Active Image Area is a boring but useful grey. Select your favourite foreground colour, something funky. Select the paint bucket tool. Click while hold <Shift> in the grey area and now you have a new background colour for your Active Image Area. What good is it? Who knows, hence he title!

Grant

P.S. Oh you want to return to the old grey and forget what it was … doh. Try C0C0C0.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

CW
Colin_Woodbridge
Jul 15, 2004
Grant…

I like silly tricks like this. It’s comforting to know that you can, if you want, which I wont.

However, it didn’t work for me but what I did discover was that if I double click in the gray workspace the Open Dialog starts ( I already knew that), but if you hold shift and double click you get the File Browser and Ctrl + double click gets you the New dialog. Alt + double click gets you Open As…..none of which I knew.

Now with a 102 Key keyboard I should have all the other combinations worked out by about the year 2365.

Colin
GD
Grant_Dixon
Jul 15, 2004
Colin

Even superer silly pet tricks.

Now if you want my trick to work don click on the Work Area but click on the Active Image Area. that is the area around an image when you expand the real state around the image. Try maximizing this and then do the silly little trick. It wouldn’t be silly if it were obvious :).

Grant
PA
Patti Anderson
Jul 15, 2004
…what I did discover was that if I double click in the gray workspace the Open Dialog starts ( I already knew that), but if you hold shift and double click you get the File Browser and Ctrl + double click gets you the New dialog. Alt + double click gets you Open As…..none of which I knew.

Colin, I love you! I was griping just the other day about the shortcut toolbar not being in CS and had resorted to using Ctrl+O. You’ve just made my day…no make that my year!

Why don’t they put these little tips in the manual??? I did look, by the way.

Patti
CW
Colin_Woodbridge
Jul 15, 2004
Right, been there, done that, returned to gray.

BTW: I was looking at a Video Tutorial supposedly on PS CS but in fact the guy was using version 6 and he had files and folders actually in the gray workspace. Not sure how useful that would be but I’d like to know how. It was a Mac so maybe it’s a Mac thing.

Patti….

If Adobe did that we wouldn’t have as much fun on this forum.

Colin
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Jul 15, 2004
he had files and folders actually in the gray workspace

‘Fraid so, Colin. It is a Mac thing. The gray area was not the win workspace but his mac desktop, which is always visible unless your image takes up the whole screen.
CW
Colin_Woodbridge
Jul 15, 2004
Gosh…gonna have to dash out and buy a Mac now in case I want to do this one day….. 🙂

Colin
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Jul 15, 2004
Colin,

It is worth dashing out and getting a Mac 🙂 …. The floating desktop is really useful, especially if you are doing a tutorial as you can have the tutorial open on the desktop and are able see it whilst you have Elements open.

Wendy
RR
Raymond Robillard
Jul 15, 2004
Works for Mac as well, if you enlarge the window of the active image, without zooming in the image as well, you may see that grey area. You can change it with the same key combination (shift – paint bucket)…

Ray
SR
Steven_Reno
Jul 16, 2004
Hi Grant

I was just wondering how to change that grey color the other day, what good timing. I was geting bored with all the grey and changed my crop color to a bright green, nice change.

On a related subject does anyone know what happens when the image is taken out of its window and put on a grey background covering other images and the active image’s window. I must touch something with my stylus by accident to make it happen.

Also how do I return to the normal screen view. This can get really annoying. Can this grey also be changed?

Steve
J
jhjl1
Jul 16, 2004
Most people who are serious about color quality stay with gray since other colors can change the way we perceive color thus making alterations less accurate.

Have A Nice Day, 🙂
James Hutchinson
http://www.pbase.com/myeyesview
http://www.myeyesviewstudio.com/
wrote in message
Hi Grant

Also how do I return to the normal screen view. This can get really
annoying. Can this grey also be changed?
Steve

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections