KB
Posted By
Keith_Beery
Jul 14, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
The software that came with the camera enables iPhoto and Canon ImageBrowser, but not PS Elements, including from the file menu. Help very much appreciated! Thanks. Keith

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

E
E._Gary_Heaton
Jul 14, 2004
what system are you using? Windows (is so, what version) or Mac? Gary~*
KB
Keith_Beery
Jul 14, 2004
Mac OS 10.3.4 on a G4 iMac. PS Elements 2.0 and Canon Digital Camera Solution Disk 17.1 Thanks!
Keith
BH
Beth_Haney
Jul 14, 2004
Which software was on first? If you put Elements on before the Canon, Elements may not even know it exists. Also, the recommendation of many of us here on the forum is to not even do direct downloads from the camera in the first place. Card readers, which are very inexpensive, are a much faster, easier, and safer way to download image files. No compatibility problems either!
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Jul 14, 2004
Keith,

As Beth said most of us use card readers … My Canon software disk hasn’t even come out of the cover :). Its straight from the reader and that iPhoto opens… you don’t even need to install any extra software, much less hassle and incidently safer than using the camera and Canon software.

How are you finding 10.3.4 and do you think it is worth upgrading, I’m still using 10.3.3?.

Wendy
KB
Keith_Beery
Jul 14, 2004
Thank you all. I trashed both the PS and Canon apps, then reinstalled with PS first, but that didn’t work. Got a $20 LaCie reader, and it works fine. As for OS 10.3.4, I can’t say that it has made any positive difference for what I do, but it hasn’t hurt either. Cheers! Keith 🙂
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Jul 14, 2004
Thanks for the info about 10.3.4 Keith … guesss I’ll stick with what I have for now.

Glad you are now up and running with the card reader 🙂

Wendy
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Jul 16, 2004
Wendy, the only program in the Canon software pack worth loading is PhotoStitch; very effective at creating seamless multi-image panorama. The rest of the Canon stuff is a waste of hard drive space…

Chuck
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Jul 16, 2004
Chuck,

I must get round to looking at it sometime …

Wendy
SS
Susan_S.
Jul 17, 2004
The only reason I ever use the Canon software is to read the full EXIF data which Elements and PS don’t seem to like – the downside of doing that is that the Mac version seems to overwrite the creation date of the file to the first date that the file was opened in image browser.
Wendy – as you have the 300D, if you ever want to play with RAW files it might be worth your while downloading the newer Canon RAW converter, EOS View or what ever it is called – it is supposed to be much faster than the software supplied with the camera (doesn’t work with non-SLRs like my G3, so I haven’t tried it). But I suspect CS will still be better for RAW conversion!
RR
Raymond Robillard
Jul 17, 2004
Chuck,

I disagree with you (it’s a rare event!)… Remote Capture is also fun and handy to use when doing studio photography, as the pictures are immediately stored on the computer, rather than on the memory card. I use it all the time when I do indoor picture as well.

Ray
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Jul 17, 2004
Susan,

Thanks for the info … I haven’t tried using Raw yet.

Wendy
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Jul 17, 2004
Ray, I would have no use for Remote Capture – I have no studio and would never connect my camera to a computer. But I’m glad to hear that Canon has at least one other good piece of software…

🙂

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections