Jul 14, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
<http://www.rawphotodesk.com/>

free offer expires soon

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

SB
Stu_Bloom
Jul 14, 2004
I wonder what the point is?

RAW PhotoDesk will not replace a full-fledged image editor (like Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro) or the camera manufacturer’s own raw software
RR
Raymond Robillard
Jul 14, 2004
Btw, it’s Windows only…
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jul 14, 2004
Sorry Ray

Stu, i think they said…" For advanced users…Raw photodesk will not replace Photoshop…." I posted for those who might be interested in playing with some of their Raw images….for those who did not have the priveledge to own PS CS. There are some other interesting features as well. Granted, it’s only in beta version at this point which means not everything is shelf ready. I will probably check it out.
SS
Susan_S.
Jul 14, 2004
Stu – if you’ve ever tried to use the canon RAW editing software I think you might understand the point. Anything would be better than the Canon software! (I bought CS mainly to be able to open the CRW files from my camera in less than an hour so – it isn’t an SLR so Capture 1 is no good and I’m on a Mac so Breezebrowser won’t work)
RR
Raymond Robillard
Jul 14, 2004
Jodi, don’t be sorry… I just said so to make Mac users wouldn’t loose their time looking at this site.

Ray
SB
Stu_Bloom
Jul 14, 2004
The Minolta RAW editing software doesn’t compare to PS CS either, but it’s certainly usable. I didn’t see anything in the RAW Photodesk description that can’t be done in Minolta’s DiMage Viewer, and that comes free with the camera. I would also be very surprised if a one-size-fits-all product could match the performance of the third party RAW converters that are built to specifically work with one manufacturer’s files.

Perhaps for someone who doesn’t have a real image editor, it might provide some advantage. (But those people wouldn’t be reading this forum, most likely.) IOW, I really see no point to this program.
E
E._Gary_Heaton
Jul 14, 2004
"Perhaps for someone who doesn’t have a real image editor, it might provide some advantage. (But those people wouldn’t be reading this forum, most likely.) IOW, I really see no point to this program."
Just what people DO read this forum then? I read it because of people like Jodi, that find interesting things, and post them for the rest of us to try, or to use. But then thats just me.
I own several Canon cameras, and I understand what Jodi means about their raw converter program. It stinks.
Thanks for the post Jodi, who knows?.. once they work the kinks out of it, it may be a very useful program..Only time will tell.
Gary~*
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jul 14, 2004
Thanks Gary, you are a sweetheart 🙂

BTW…I love my new monitor…THANK YOU for pointing me in the right direction !

SAMSUNG SyncMaster 950b
SB
Stu_Bloom
Jul 14, 2004
Just what people DO read this forum then?

People who already have a first-rate image editor and thus have no need for the rudimentary image editing capabilities of the subject free program.

If the Canon raw file converter is as bad as people here say it is and if there is no affordable third-party Canon-specific solution, then perhaps this program does have a reason for being. Otherwise, it’s a solution looking for a problem.
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Jul 14, 2004
Jodi,

Seems to be your turn this week …. will probably be mine next week 🙂

Thanks for finding the freebie, it is well worth a look.

Wendy
GD
Grant_Dixon
Jul 14, 2004
Jodi,

Thanks for the heads-up on this new but not released product. I do like the look and feel it is much better than the other three products I have used, of course look and feel is a very subjective emotion. Unfortunately on my machine this product runs very slowly. At this point RAW Photo Desk behaves more like and Alpha than a Beta! While I am not as big a fan as RAW as most seem to be, the conversion is often to slow for the benefit. That being said thanks for the link and I will keep an eye on this product as I like to keep up with what is happening in the graphic world.

Grant
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jul 15, 2004
Wendy and Grant…thanks for your posts. I haven’t had 2 minutes to rub together lately as far has my Adobe world goes but also looking forward to testing this product. I do have interests in the other options that are available for this program so it will all be a new adventure. Thanks again.
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Jul 15, 2004
jodi,

Let us know how you go on with it 🙂

Wendy

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections