W
Posted By
wingspar
Apr 26, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
The latest version of the software I’ve used for years trashes exif data, and the company seems unconcerned about it, so I find myself seriously looking at purchasing CS3. It seems like I’ve heard of problems with CS3 retaining exif data. While this may be unimportant to some, it is important for me. Does CS3 have any problems retaining exif data? I was able to find info on this subject for RAW images, but not for jpg.

I’m using Nikon D2H and D200 bodies. I mostly shoot jpg, and process in jpg, but when I do shoot RAW, I use Nikon Capture to process the RAW images, and convert to jpg, and will continue to use NC to process RAW images if I purchase CS3. Will CS3 handle this ok, and retain the exif information in a format that can be read by other software, particularly, Nikon Software?

Any Nikon users have problems retaining exif data using the methods and software I mentioned in last paragraph?

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

L
louise
Apr 26, 2007
wrote:
The latest version of the software I’ve used for years trashes exif data, and the company seems unconcerned about it, so I find myself seriously looking at purchasing CS3. It seems like I’ve heard of problems with CS3 retaining exif data. While this may be unimportant to some, it is important for me. Does CS3 have any problems retaining exif data? I was able to find info on this subject for RAW images, but not for jpg.

I’m using Nikon D2H and D200 bodies. I mostly shoot jpg, and process in jpg, but when I do shoot RAW, I use Nikon Capture to process the RAW images, and convert to jpg, and will continue to use NC to process RAW images if I purchase CS3. Will CS3 handle this ok, and retain the exif information in a format that can be read by other software, particularly, Nikon Software?

Any Nikon users have problems retaining exif data using the methods and software I mentioned in last paragraph?
Sorry – I’m not answering your question, but asking you a different question.

I just purchased the Nikon D40X and am awaiting delivery of CS3. Why do you plan to continue using Nikon Capture to process your RAW files rather than using CS3?

Thanks.

Louise
JP
Jonathan_Palfrey
May 24, 2007
I use Photoshop CS2 to handle images from my Nikon D50. So far I find that the EXIF data just disappears in Photoshop. I don’t know if there’s any way around this; I came here hoping to find something.
W
wingspar
May 24, 2007
Jonathan…. As you can see, I am the original poster and posted this question a month ago with no answers at all. I have since purchased CS3 and am living with the exif data being trashed. It does keep the original date of the image, shutter speed and f/stop, but trashes most the other exif info, including the lens the image was made of. Since I have a few lenses with overlapping focal lengths, this means I have to search out the original image to find out what lens I used.

Below is what is seen and what is missing when viewed with Nikon View, CS3, or KUSO EXIF Viewer after editing in CS3. From what I have gathered in other forums, the same problem exists in CS2, and photographers have been complaining to Adobe for a long time. I never used CS2. I have used Paint Shop Pro for years, and until their latest release, it kept all the exif data in tact. The latest release of PSP trashes the same exif data that CS3 does. Most people are under the impression that Adobe does not think this information is important. For those of us who work for publications, and do minor adjustments, such as curves, levels, and USM, I believe any photo editing software should not destroy any of the exif data. Now, if you are going to combine images into one image, and do other artistic adjustments, then the exif data becomes less meaningful. For us publication shooters, exif data remains valuable info.

I shoot with a pair of Nikon D2H bodies, and a Nikon D200. Same results with images from any of my bodies.

PS CS3 Keeps:

1. Camera Model
2. Date of Image
3. Focal Length
4. Exposure Mode
5. Metering Mode
6. Shutter Speed
7. f/stop
8. Exposure Comp (EV)

PS CS3 trashes:

1. Lens Used
2. Sensitivity
3. Optimized Image
4. White Balance
5. AF Mode
6. Color Mode
7. Tone Comp
8. Hue Adjustment
9. Saturation
10. Sharpening
11. Image Comment
C
chrisjbirchall
May 24, 2007
photographers have been complaining to Adobe for a long time

Maybe you/they should complain instead to the big secretive giant Nikon about the way they record that stuff in the first place.

It’s well known they don’t give a damn about what happens to their files ( your pictures) in anything other than Nikon software.

I wonder how they’d feel if Adobe started producing top of the line SLRs??
W
wingspar
May 25, 2007
I really don’t understand your answer. This is not a thread about camera manufacturers, or bashing them, it’s about what Photoshop does to exif data, nor is it meant to be a thread to flame.

For what it’s worth, we have Canon bodies in this household also, and CS3 is not kind to the exif data from the Canon body either. I used my Nikon bodies as an example, because they are my work bodies.

All I really expect/hope for with this post is to once again bring the attention of lost exif data to Adobe. Older versions of Paint Shop Pro kept every bit of exif data for both the Nikon and Canon bodies. Seems like the same should be said of the industry standard Photoshop. Bashing and flaming servers no purpose what so ever.
G
Gener
May 25, 2007
What does your exif data look like under PSCS3 File > Info > Advanced?

My thought is that the camera exif data is not being removed, but just not displayed in other places.

In Bridge CS3, Preferences (Ctrl k) > Metadata, you get to choose what is shown and what isn’t.
W
wingspar
May 25, 2007
Under PS CS3 File Info > Advanced is mostly stuff that doesn’t make sense to me. For instance, for the image I currently have open that I have processed with CS3;

exif:Exposure Time: 1/80
exif:FNumber: 56/10

Most of that stuff doesn’t mean much to me. I would have to post a screen shot for you to look at.

The actual exposure for the image I have open when looking at the File Info > Advanced is 1/80 at f/5.6, and that is what is shown under Metadata in Bridge.

Some of the info that does not show up in the exif data with Nikon View or KUSO EXIF Reader does show up in the Metadata in CS3.

Under Preferences > Metadata I have Lens checked, but the lens used does not show up in the CS3 Metadata or any other software. I prefer to not have to open CS3 just to view the exif data for a certain image. Since I have a few lenses with overlapping focal lengths, it would be very nice to be able to view the lens used.

I went thru Under Preferences > Metadata when I first installed CS3 last week, but was more thorough with it just now, and get lots of the exif data to show up in CS3, but it still won’t show with external software, mainly Nikon View, Nikon Capture, and KUSO EXIF Reader.
G
Gener
May 26, 2007
Most of that stuff doesn’t mean much to me. I would have to post a screen shot for you to look at.

No need to,if it’s not helping.

I’m looking at the part where you want to know what lens you used.

I own a Nikon D50 with a Tamron 28-80mm f/3.5-5.6 lens. I normally shoot jpeg.

Bridge CS2 and CS3 is what I use to read Metadata, and I do get under Lens: 28-80mm f/3.5-5.6 If I move the jpeg from Bridge to PSCS2, File > Info > Camera 1 does show me the lens as well as ISO sensitivity and White Balance.

Why your Camera EXIF is not showing that, I’m not sure.

Perhaps this link will help

<http://www.nikonians.org/dcforum/DCForumID201/17340.html>
W
wingspar
May 26, 2007
Gener,

I just looked at the same image untouched from the camera, and edited with CS3 in Bridge. The unedited image shows the ISO and the Lens used. The edited image does not. Editing consists of resizing, curves, levels, resizing the canvas for a border, and USM. Nothing else.

For what it’s worth, I started a thread at Nikonians about a month ago before I had a chance to try CS3. I now own CS3. You can see the thread here.

< http://www.nikonians.org/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi?az=show _thread&forum=DCForumID36&om=18609>

Seems to be a known problem, but you are the first person I’ve heard that does not have a problem retaining all exif data, including lens info after you have edited an image in CS2 or CS3. Still, third party exif readers can not see most of the exif once the image as been edited in CS3. I’ve tried Nikon Capture, Nikon View, and KUSO EXIF Reader.

Can you still see all the exif data in Nikon View, or Picture Project if you don’t use NV?
G
Gener
May 26, 2007
wingspar

I don’t have Nikon View or Picture Project,but I can try your edits, do a Save As, and see if the revised pic loses any of the the exif data.

Will let you know.

Gene
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
May 26, 2007
With my Canon 10D, I seem to be able to keep all of the relevant camera file information in File > File Information, but it’s under three categories:

Camera Data 1
Advanced > Exif Properties
Advanced > <http://ns.adobe.com/exif/1.0/aux/>

Here’s what they look like (click to see full size):
< http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=1Z6rRIlr25lNJLKtLA j3mV54HeM1dm>
G
Gener
May 26, 2007
Well, this is kinda weird.

If I open my Nikon D50 jpegs in Bridge CS2 and PS CS2, the lens field in the metadata pane in Bridge CS2 is blank.

If I open those jpegs in PS CS2, the lens field in under File > Info > Camera 1 is blank.

However the same jpegs do display the lens info in Bridge CS3.

If I open and resave those jpegs in Adobe Camera Raw 4, the lens info is displayed properly in both Bridge CS2 and Photoshop CS2.

If I do the edits to these jpegs the lens info is retained.

ISO Speed and Orientation are also included.

In Bridge CS3, the Scene mode is also noted and the Color Space has been moved to File Properties from the EXIF section.

I haven’t gotten PS CS3 yet. But again all I can figure out is that Photoshop edits shouldn’t do anything to EXIF metadata unless Save for Web is used.
W
wingspar
May 26, 2007
After reading your post, I took an unedited file, and processed it in NCR, and it kept all the exif data in Bridge, but it is still not viewable in Nikon Capture, Nikon View, or KUSO EXIF Reader. So, now PS seems to keep all the exif data that is important to me, but it is gone when viewing with external software. I don’t use the “Save for Web” feature, but I do understand that exif data is not kept when saving for the web.

So, exif data, including Lens Info, seems to be in tact when viewed in Bridge, but not in other software. Nikon View is what I use to view this info. NV opens in a split second, and takes only a couple more seconds to navigate to the image I want the info for, and is far easier to use for that purpose than Bridge is, and that means I can view the exif data for a processed shot I have uploaded to my domain when I am not on my computer, or any computer that does not have PS installed, and that’s all computers I use and have access to, except for my main computer where I have CS3 installed.

I wonder if there might be a deeply hidden setting in PS that will make all exif data viewable to other software?
G
Gener
May 26, 2007
IDimager Lite will also display the lens info. www.idimager.com

Maybe someone in Adobe’s XMP forum could also suggest something.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections