SC
Posted By
Sergio_Caplan
Apr 19, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
So I asked this before, but in a different way.

I am supplying my graphics to someone who wants it at 300dpi and 3"x4". Of course saving it as JPG or the likes makes it a file three times the size.

Now I know how to adjust that during the Save As For Web process, but am curious, am I losing some of my DPI there?

Very confused…

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

B
Bernie
Apr 19, 2007
Save for Web strips the metadata from the file. Part of that metadata is the size in inches and the reoslution from the file.

If this is for print, you do not want to use SFW, and ideally, you want o save in a lossless format like TIFF or PSD
RK
Rob_Keijzer
Apr 19, 2007
Sergio,

For starters, it’s ppi (pixels per inch). Dpi is for printers that use several "dots" to put a pixel on paper.

While that’s out of the way, if you change the ppi of the image (resample off!), what is the print size then?

If it is smaller than you wish, upsample it. Always save a changed file under a different name.

Rob
JO
Jim_Oblak
Apr 19, 2007
Of course saving it as JPG or the likes makes it a file three times the size.

If anything, saving a JPG will be smaller than the original file. This sounds like you are upsampling (resizing the image) to a larger size than the original. This is not good. You cannot squeeze better quality out of an image by scaling it larger.
SC
Sergio_Caplan
Apr 19, 2007
I am making everything myself. Let me ask it another way if I might:

I want my end result to be file that has the following formating:

JPG
300 dpi
3" width
4" height

If anyone can tell me how to create that document in Photoshop I sure would be greatful.
RK
Rob_Keijzer
Apr 19, 2007
Read #2 again.
B
Bernie
Apr 19, 2007
And #1 (if I do say so myself)
SC
Sergio_Caplan
Apr 19, 2007
Sorry, never saw message one. Something screwy on the baord today, not even getting the usual email notifications.

Ok, from my understanding, don’t use the SFW. And the person is asking me for 300 dpi, and will use this for print. So a TIFF is called for.

However, how do I specify DPI, if I can only set PPI?

Thanks for all your help so far.
C
chrisjbirchall
Apr 19, 2007
PPI (pixels per inch) is the correct term. Many people erronously use DPI (even Adobe!). If someone tells you they need a 300 Dpi file they really mean they need a 300 Ppi file.
J
Jim
Apr 19, 2007
wrote in message
Sorry, never saw message one. Something screwy on the baord today, not even getting the usual email notifications.

Ok, from my understanding, don’t use the SFW. And the person is asking me for 300 dpi, and will use this for print. So a TIFF is called for.
What makes you think that you need a Tiff file?
However, how do I specify DPI, if I can only set PPI?

Thanks for all your help so far.
Jim
JO
Jim_Oblak
Apr 19, 2007
I’m curious as to what standards authority introduced the use of ‘PPI’.

‘Dots’ is a generic term <http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/dots> that can be used interchangeably as DPI or PPI when referring to the smallest elements that compose a digital image file. A dot is simply a small unit or spot. I see dots all over my screen.

There is no way to make a file have different values for DPI and PPI. Anyone that has a 300 DPI file has a 300 PPI file. Likewise, anyone that has a 300 PPI file has a 300 DPI file.
PF
Peter_Figen
Apr 19, 2007
….and then there are some who insist upon SPI – samples per inch, when referring to scanned images. It’s all pretty much the same in the end.
T
Talker
Apr 20, 2007
On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 12:41:59 -0700,
wrote:

I am making everything myself. Let me ask it another way if I might:
I want my end result to be file that has the following formating:
JPG
300 dpi
3" width
4" height

If anyone can tell me how to create that document in Photoshop I sure would be greatful.

First, the picture from your camera was 240 dpi, but what were the dimensions? My Canon takes pictures at 180 dpi, but the size is about 11 inches by 17 inches. If I resize the image, unchecking the Resample Image box (so that the file size remains the same), and change the 180 dpi to 300 dpi, my image resizes it’s dimensions to about 7 inches by 10 inches.
Now, if you want to accomplish the sizes you mention above, just use the Crop tool ( press C on your keyboard). At the top you’ll see Width……Height…..Resolution. Just enter 4 in the Height box, 3 in the width box, and 300 in the PPI box.
Once you have those values entered, just click and drag the cursor over your picture, starting at one edge and going to the opposite diagonal edge. This will show you what will need to be cropped off in order to achieve the size and ppi you want. Once you get the picture centered to where you want it cropped, just click on the check mark at the top middle of the screen. If you don’t want to crop it, check the X box.

Talker
C
chrisjbirchall
Apr 20, 2007
I don’t know about a "standads authority" but I would certainly advocate "accepted use" of the correct terms to avoid confusion.

PPI <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pixels_per_inch>

DPI <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dots_per_inch>
JJ
John Joslin
Apr 20, 2007
to avoid confusion.

Too late! 🙂
RK
Rob_Keijzer
Apr 20, 2007
Well, it’s obvious that we all talk about pixels, not dots in discussing digital images.

Further, a "dot" is still a tiny drop of ink. Many dots on the paper reflect what was one pixel in the digital image.

My old printer stated a DPI of more than 600, but barely can cram 240 pixels close enough to occupy one inch.

So, confusing or not, IMO there’s a distinct difference.

Rob
JO
Jim_Oblak
Apr 20, 2007
A dot is a generic term. We understand element pitch based on the context of the discussion. PPI can also mean ‘particles per inch’ or ‘pages per inch’.

While it is a good starting place for learning, Wikipedia is not an authority on any information. Accepted use is both DPI or PPI if you survey graphics programs. In the context of image resolution on screen, there is no difference between DPI and PPI.
J
Jim
Apr 20, 2007
wrote in message
Well, it’s obvious that we all talk about pixels, not dots in discussing digital images.

Further, a "dot" is still a tiny drop of ink. Many dots on the paper reflect what was one pixel in the digital image.

My old printer stated a DPI of more than 600, but barely can cram 240 pixels close enough to occupy one inch.

So, confusing or not, IMO there’s a distinct difference.
Rob
Well, yes there certainly. A printer dot is (usually) just one color. Some inks are partially transparent, and, for such, a dot can have more than one color.
For the usual case, though, at least 3 dots represent a pixel. As pixels are square, the printer must lay down at least 3×3 array of dots per pixel.

Of course, what I have posted is a gross oversimplification of the action of a printer as controlled by the driver. The essential point that a printer dot is not the same as an image pixel remains.

Jim
FS
Fred_Stewart
Apr 20, 2007
PPI/DPI

"He did what in his cup?!" 🙂
— ‘Mater
HB
Heather Bell
Apr 20, 2007
Okay, I give, who’s going to bring up LPI?
Whoops, guess I did.
At anyrate, from a printer’s stand point, yes, it all means the same thing. You can call ’em spots per inch, marks per inch, points per inch, whatever, just don’t change it to "per foot" and it all comes out the same.
DM
Don_McCahill
Apr 21, 2007
Actually Heather, lpi is very different from ppi and/or dpi. (I suspect you know that, though.)
JO
Jim_Oblak
Apr 22, 2007
LPI is not much diferent. LPI refers to the number of bigger dots that are composed of smaller dots.

It’s all dots! 🙂
HB
Heather Bell
Apr 23, 2007
(OFF) This is just all so amusing. It reminds me of the time I was playing pool and some gentlemen from England came in. My friend and I challenged them to a game, and proceeded to spend the rest of the evening trying to decipher eachother’s references. Apparently "solid" balls are "spots" on the other side of the pond. Some of the rules were a bit different, but the majority of the "What’s?" came from saying the exact same thing using different words.
B
Buko
Apr 23, 2007
CK
Christine_Krof_Shock
Apr 24, 2007
Easiest way for the newbie to figure it out…Open new file at 3×4" at 300 dpi…look to the far right and it will give you the necessary file size needed…4×3 at 300 dpi= 1.3MB
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
Apr 25, 2007
Bear in mind that the size in the "far right" (i.e. in the Info pallette) is only approximately correct. It only accounts for image data, I believe, not metadata (EXIF, IPTC, etc.), color profile, or file headers, markers, etc. Also, it is based on the uncompressed image data. If your saved file type is compressed, as most are, the saved file size will generally be considerably smaller (but, in some cases, for 16 bit/channel images saved in TIFF format, the saved size may be considerably larger if LZW compression is used).
JJ
John Joslin
Apr 25, 2007
What Michael said.

If the user doesn’t have his Info palette open how will he know what you mean?
W
wia
Jun 7, 2007
Read my article:
Misunderstandings about dpi – <http://www.dpiphoto.eu/dpi.htm>

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections