Posted By
DTWD
Apr 13, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Good afternoon,

* ************************************************************ ***********************************************

I am posting this in both the Illustrator and the Photoshop sections of the forum as I am not sure where the problem lies.

* ************************************************************ ***********************************************

I have an oddity. I am working in Illustrator to create a website which I will then cut up in ImageReady and put back together in DreamWeaver.

Well I have some strange goings on, I have my artwork in Illustrator looking exactly as I want it. I have setup a shared working space of sRG IEC61966-2.1 in both Illustrator and Photoshop with the same embedded colour profile in the file I am working on. When I export, from Illustrator as a PSD file I tell it to use the aforementioned ICC profile. I open that file up in PS and it looks slightly duller than what I had in illustrator, but still fairly close to what I had originally intended. If I open up the same PSD in ImageReady (which I can’t find any colour handling settings anywhere) it goes into retro mode and ramps up the saturation on all the colours and it looks too mad and not even close to the original or the one that Photoshop opened. If I then open the PSD up in Illustrator it looks fine.

So I tried a different angle, I saved the file in Illustrator with PDF compatibility enabled and making sure the correct ICC profile was exported and then opened the file in PS, which then wanted to rasterise it, so I let it, with the correct colour profile selected. It opened up in PS the same as before, with the slight colour shift, but nothing as mad as ImageReady. I opened it up in ImageReady and again it’s vibrant and wrong again.

Another idea was to export a JPEG from Illustrator with an attached colour profile and it again looks fine within Illustrator, when re-opened, and even looks fine Windows image viewer, but put it into Photoshop and again it’s a little duller and ImageReady it’s still overly saturated.

Has anyone any idea of what the hell is going? Whenever I check the colour profiles that each program thinks the file has it’s always the correct one, the sRG one…it’s driving me mad!

Regards
Paul

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

D
DTWD
Apr 13, 2007
Sorry forgot to add, I am using VISTA, and the CS2 suite.

Regards
Paul
L
LenHewitt
Apr 13, 2007
Answered over in the Illustrator forum, Paul.
D
DTWD
Apr 14, 2007
Cheers,

I will ride on over and take a look.

Regards
Paul
D
DTWD
Apr 19, 2007
This is discussed in more detail in the Illustrator forum, but for anyone interested:

For anyone interested I fixed it!

The list of issues was mind boggling, but in the end I got there.

Under Vista I had my Windows colour profile, Illy and PS working space and attached colour profiles in each were set to sRGB. But still whenever I got the file from Illy to ImageReady it was screwed. So I put XP back on to see how I faired.

I used Adobe Gamma (more on this later) to get my screens looking an assemblance of ok and got to work. Instantly everything looked more like each other, sadly they were more liked the screwed ones that ImageReady was displaying in Vista. So I set to work re-building a test page using new colours that were like the ones I had seen in Illy on Vista. So now in ImageReady and Illy they were looking a darn site better, but still not the same.

At this point I stopped, put down the keyboard and mouse and went and sat in a dark room and thought about it all. I came to the conclusion I must be being an idiot somewhere along the line so I went and read up on the web. The majority of people started by saying "Start with setting up your monitors with Adobe Gamma" blah blah blah. But I decided to take this completely out of the equation and removed all colour profiles from windows and rebooted. Now everything matched across all platforms…excellent. But for good measure I decided to add sRGB back into windows and NOT use the Adobe Gamma profiles. Everything still looked the same and matched across the board…excellent. But was that the end of the story? Not by a long shot…

So happy with my new found colour matching I slightly changed some of design and it looked great, although windows itself looked far too washed out for my liking (I suppose it’s what I got used to). I had a few more programs to install after my downgrade back to XP (I don’t really advise Vista to anyone at the moment) I installed them rebooted and to my shock and horror I saw something completely un-expected. There I was waiting for everything to load looking at the Telly Tubby hill when all of a sudden my right monitor flashed a lighter colour, now it looked slightly bleached compared to the left monitor. Confused I thought maybe the ATI catalyst may have kicked in and had some odd settings somewhere, so I fired it up and guess what?…both monitors went darker, but left the right one ever so slightly lighter. Completely confused I checked it’s settings and apparently it wasn’t in control of the colours and I should press a button to let it take control "Sod that" I thought and checked the colour profiles, both were still sRGB so I thought the problem may have laid with the ATI catalyst, so I removed it and rebooted. Now finally everything is working as it should.

When the ATI catalyst was installed I couldn’t see anything before 12 on this site:

< http://www.drycreekphoto.com/Learn/Calibration/monitor_black .htm>

But with it off I can see the difference from 3 onwards…bonus!

So it all appears to be fixed now thank god, so now I can get on with the job for the client now. But before that I will give you some pieces of advice, do not touch: Vista (XP is so much better in my opinion), Adobe Gamma and if you can avoid ATI or at least the Catalyst all the better.

Regards
Paul

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections