EC
Posted By
Eric_Cloninger
Apr 11, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I looked in the troubleshooting guides and found no mention of this. There was one thread with a similar problem about 9 months ago that was never resolved. Using a popular search engine doesn’t reveal much, either.

Occasionally, let’s say every two weeks or so, a portion of my settings get set back to their original states. The most noticeable ones are

* The "maximize psd and psb file compatibility" setting in Photoshop. I have it set to "Never" and it goes back to "Ask".
* Palette locations and states in Photoshop
* Window size and slider positions in Bridge

PS CS2 with all updates applied on Windows XP SP2.

Oddly enough, my scratch disk settings don’t seem to be affected. Seems to occur after a reboot but not every reboot. This a licensed and legit installation (corporate license on a work machine). The machine is part of a Windows domain and I am a remote user always through a hardware VPN, but I don’t know if that matters.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

EH
Ed_Hannigan
Apr 11, 2007
This can be caused by shutting down or logging out of Windows without closing Photoshop first. Are you doing that?
EC
Eric_Cloninger
Apr 11, 2007
Thanks for the reply, Ed. As a general rule, I don’t shut down or power down Windows with applications running. Believe it or not, my Windows install on my work and personal PCs are quite stable.

The work PC is a laptop and there are times when logging in it takes 20 minutes to get started because it’s searching for the corporate network when I’m at home. That’s aggravating as ****, but I don’t think it’s related to this problem.
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Apr 11, 2007
Hmmm. Without knowing what the problem is, I can suggest making a Workspace (Window>Workspace>Save Workspace) that works for you, that you can apply whenever you need to, and copying a clean Preferences file/folder (it’s in Documents and Settings) that you can Paste into the appropriate place whenever this happens.

Your Preferences may be corrupted, so I would reset them first, as per the FAQs and set everything as you want it, then duplicate that file and stash it somewhere handy. At least that will make restoring in the future relatively painless.
WS
Wick_Smith
Apr 17, 2007
I am having a similar problem with CS3. For some reason, updated keyboard and menu preferences are created while CS3 is running, but the general prefs file is not created until you exit the program. My problem is that exiting the program is what seems to be causing the corruption. So I am unable to successfully copy a clean prefs file.

I am using the CS3 beta (I have downloaded the shipping version but won’t install it until the cleaning script is released) with 4GB of memory (most of which doesn’t seem to be recognized by Windows or PhotoShop [only 1700 available]. My problem specifically is that some settings cannot be changed. For example I am unable to get a text cursor into the dpi options box with the Crop Tool. Also, layer blend modes cannot be selected using the dropdown menu — using Shift with Plus does work.

When I purge the preferences file, my problems go away. After exiting the program and starting again, the same problems often (but not always) return.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections